Oarlock height differential - sculling

Remomex
Old timer

Oarlock height differential - sculling

Post by Remomex »

I am fairly new to the world of sculling and have a question regarding oarlock heights - I've learned to row "left over right" (as I think most people in the US do), consequently I usually have a half-spacer difference between my left and right oarlocks (left oarlock higher). Recently someone told me that the boats we use are already "built" in a way that they take care of the height difference and that I should place my oarlocks at the same height.

Being relatively new to sculling I'm not sure which is right or which really feels better, so I wonder if anyone has any insight on this?

The specific boat I was rowing when this conversation took place is a 2006 Hudson HW 2x.
Steven M-M
Elite

Re: Oarlock height differential - sculling

Post by Steven M-M »

Some riggers have the left/right height difference built in, some don't. Best to just measure the height over the gunnel. If you don't have a fancy height stick, a ruler and a carpenter level should do the job.
Steven M-M
Nosmo
Pre-Elite

Post by Nosmo »

Short answer is one space is fine even if there is a height difference in your rigger.

Assuming the gunnels are levels you can use any straight piece of wood, and measure the difference from the wood to the oarlock.
The boat's I've measured had 1 cm difference. Seems almost everyone in my club uses an additional 1 cm spacer, for a total of 2 cm.

As far as I can by how the spacers get moved, one person prefers 3 cm. I occassionally row with 1 cm difference but mostly use 2 cm.
Don't know of anyone else who uses only 1 cm difference.
Someone else asked to have his boat made with more than 1 cm difference built in, but I'm not sure how much.
singlesculler
Pre-Elite

Post by singlesculler »

My wife and I both have the boat (mine heavy, her's light) with the same rigger which was a 1cm differential built in. We were taught how to row left in front of right (not one over the other, but the left stays toward the stern) to help with flatter drive. She rows with equal spacers, so has the 1cm overall difference. I prefer having one cm spacer under the left, so 2cm total. If you are able to keep your boat/rigger level during the drive (no lean during the mid point of drive), take a look at the blades. Is one going deeper then the other? if so, add a spacer under the blade that is deeper, and it will raise the blade up to make the two go at the same depth without any change in hands.
I'd still vote for the left in front of right, with the right hand tucked under the wrist of the left to reduce the difference. It reduces knuckle scrapes too, and quite frankly, if you really do row with one hand OVER the other, then you'll need a whole lot more then 2 cm differential to keep your boat level with having both blades at nice consistent equal depths throughout the drive.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I learned the bigger the boat , 1x, 2x, 4x , the more difference is needed. I used use just .5 to 1 centimeter in my single , 1.5 spring for the double and 2 centimeters for the quad.
WashedUpOldMan
Varsity

Post by WashedUpOldMan »

1.5-2 cm.

Source 1: Ted Nash
Source 2: http://www.biorow.com/RBN_en_2011_files ... News07.pdf
dieselrower1k
JV

Post by dieselrower1k »

I had always ASSUMED that the riggers had the differential built in. I gather some do, some do not. I row a Wintech International. Does anyone know if I need to add in the differential? Also, since I've been rowing fine(as fine as I can :? ) this way, Should I?
Steven M-M
Elite

Post by Steven M-M »

Best plan is to measure it to see if and how much difference is built into the rigger. Put something rigid like a carpenter's level across the gunwale and measure the distance to something fixed on the rigger. I wouldn't use the bottom of the pin as you can adjust that on most boats. You could also check the bottom of the oarlock to see if the overlap is what you want. Even if the riggers have the standard (?) 1.5 cm built in you might prefer more or less and can use the spacers to make the change.
Steven M-M
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Diesel , I have an extra half spacer in place on my port side of my carbon rigger. I would measure and then add if needed.
dieselrower1k
JV

Post by dieselrower1k »

"I have an extra half spacer in place on my port side of my carbon rigger."
Lt. Wolf: dumb question :oops: ; PORT as one is facing the stern, or bow?
GettingFaster
Veteran

Post by GettingFaster »

Port is always the same side, so I guess to answer your question, the left side facing the bow, the right side facing the stern.
Steven M-M
Elite

Post by Steven M-M »

Wolf, since most of us row left over right, did you add the spacer on your port pin to reduce the built-in starboard over port difference in the WinTech rigger? How much difference does WinTeck design in?
Steven M-M
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

My bad , I was tired when posting and I meant to post starboard , my starboard side has an extra half spacer in place , added to the 1 cam built in. Done for comfort
Steven M-M
Elite

Post by Steven M-M »

Makes sense. When even the most experienced scullers among us mix up starboard & port when tired is all the more reason why I use "right and left" when bowing a 2x. Even those who complain that its "just wrong" to use "right/left" for steering commands never miss the command. Why are rowers such tradition-bound conformists??
Steven M-M
dieselrower1k
JV

Post by dieselrower1k »

Ok, that makes sense to me now. Thank you! :D