How long

Grover
Pre-Elite

How long

Post by Grover »

So it has been 18months since I last rowed due to what the MRI showed as a bulged disc. Dec 2013 had a week of painful rowing to the point I had to stop and take a month off to cross train.

Thought it was better, went for a 4k real light row, back felt ok, got out of the boat and it was like someone poked it with a red hot rod. Absolute mess for about two weeks, barrel rolling out of bed, numbness down my left leg (which went away after two weeks), having to sit bolt upright otherwise I was in agony.

Anyway since then time has passed...a lot and was wondering what sort of time line there is for bulged discs.. Drs have told me over time these things can harden and not be an issue anymore, however I am pain free and have been for quite awhile but then also I haven't rowed, skipped many a leg day at the gym etc basically not done anything to to annoy it.

I'm perfectly happy not rowing but it would be nice to go for a few rows a week but would prefer not to have that red poker stuck in my lower back again.

Cheers for the input
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: How long

Post by lt.wolf »

Are you doing any yoga ? Not using those muscles for so long may cause them to seize a bit.
Steven M-M
Elite

Re: How long

Post by Steven M-M »

Thankfully I don't have experience with back problems. I have been discussing rower's backs with my sports chiro who is helping me past a minor shoulder injury. Even with the best of posture, we take the catch with some flexion of the lower spine, esp near the hips. Even a relatively straight lower back is not the ideal lordotic curve for taking loads. He is teaching me a set of extension exercises as a way of protecting my back. I don't know if any of this applies to someone with a back injury, but I know he gets lots of young and aging athletes back in the game after back injuries. In my limited experience, injury recovery is important but soon into the process is the need to do something active to strengthen injured area and to improve technique to minimize stresses. Has anyone knowledgeable looked at your rowing with an eye to protecting your back?
Steven M-M