block periodization

SDsweep
JV

Re: block periodization

Post by SDsweep »

Remomex wrote: - Sounds like polarized training where you have light-HIT weeks with interspersed heavy-HIT weeks have proven benefits, but I was surprised that there was no mention of "in-between" training. Not all training for rowers is done at SS intensity or at max intensity, we also do plenty of work to improve our aerobic threshold - which wasn't mentioned at all in the paper. That was disappointing as I'd like to know how that fits into this block periodization paradigm.
I think this is just an issue of the authors using different terms to describe these intensities than most on this board would. If you look at the paper, they define LIT as 60-80% of maxHR and HIT as >88% of maxHR. That definition of LIT allows for a significantly higher intensity than what most people on this board call SS, and 88% is far from max intensity. Stuff like 3x20' at a hard intensity would still fall within their definition of LIT and things like 4x12' would qualify as HIT. They do seem to not discuss any intensities that would be considered anaerobic threshold intensity, though that's kind of the nature of the polarized training.