How fast is fast indoors?

Mango
Old timer

Re: How fast is fast indoors?

Post by Mango »

Good job. Not taking away.

But C2 static is the standard until it is not. Everything is else deserves an attaboy until the standard officially changes. Just like sliders I have heard stories of 10, 12, and 15 seconds on the RP3.

Good erg score. Nice work. Attaboy.*

* You did not "smash" the world record.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

The video on the post shows him on a static C2, am I missing something?
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

FullSend wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:46 pm The video on the post shows him on a static C2, am I missing something?
He's talking about the Jake McCarthy post showing an rp3rowing IG screengrab. Out of order/context, I know :wink:
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Ok that makes more sense.

Personally, I find it exciting when there is talent coming out of the club side. If it can catch you 1 athletic monster each cycle, that can really help the talent pool. That kind of 5k indicates a sub 5:45 2k (using Paul's Law as a rough estimate). He must have some decent boat moving to make the u23 8 as well.

Not a knock on ND at all, but I'd imagine there's room to continue to grow going from training there primarily to CRC/national team stuff.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

ND puts out several eights at ACRA these days. Their boats seem newer, and it looks like they are approaching Michigan levels of preparedness/alumni support. The benefit of erg training is that fitness levels are comparable, and regardless of location, you can chase after elite fitness with near-certain assessment of your own fitness levels. The only downside to club rowing is that there are fewer people pushing you to be better day after day. And of course, the bandwidth of the coaches to teach technique is always an issue at the club level simply because the coaches have to focus on what makes the biggest difference, and that's often the technically weakest rower.

The mental aspect (stress?) of being pushed to work hard everyday lest you lose your seat in the boat, and the technical aspect of being forced to refine your stroke (because you might lose your seat in the boat) are the biggest factors missing from club rowing.

And yes, cultivating talent from all aspects of the collegiate rowing population could be a huge boost to NT success. How many successful high school athletes from the revenue sports didn't make the D1 cut but can learn to row in college instead? We have to get those athletes into the mix. Maybe USRowing needs to carve off some of their budget for club rowing development grants. That's not even an HP-only expenditure; it's been said that club rowing alumni end up forming the backbone (by the numbers) of the American rowing community. The IRA schools don't graduate enough alumni who contribute to club/community rowing leadership (which ends up affecting the junior rowing population). And as Coach Hartsuff says, if you love rowing, you'll love it enough to row club. That experience is surely worth supporting. (/soapbox)
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

FullSend wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:05 am That kind of 5k indicates a sub 5:45 2k (using Paul's Law as a rough estimate).
Seriously? Paul's Law?

Maybe I shouldn't have expected better from RI.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Remomex wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:55 pm
FullSend wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2024 11:05 am That kind of 5k indicates a sub 5:45 2k (using Paul's Law as a rough estimate).
Seriously? Paul's Law?

Maybe I shouldn't have expected better from RI.
What should I have said instead? Sub 545 based on vibes

It's an estimate, I don't have all the kid's scores. Big man fast, there you go
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

Phil Clapp just set a new 500m record of 1:09.8
Doesn’t mean an awful lot in the grand scheme of things….but still very impressive
IMG_2283.jpeg
IMG_2283.jpeg (121.27 KiB) Viewed 528 times
The older I get, the better I was