Brexit and rowing?

caustic
Old timer

Brexit and rowing?

Post by caustic »

So naturally, the first thing that came to mind was "how is this going to affect rowing?". I guess Empacher better gird their factory shop loins in prep for an influx of American orders, seeing as the euro and sterling are taking a savage beating, and the USD is absorbing a lot of fleeing investment dollars. Granted, the article 50 process will take at least a couple years, if not longer to ensure the British and EU economies extracate themselves.

What about other UK nations and their athletic associations? There's already talk of Scotland having another referendum on UK independance following the vote.
KitD
Old timer

Re: Brexit and rowing?

Post by KitD »

2 Brexits in a week.

England have just been knocked out of the Euro 2016 "football" competition by Iceland, 10% of whose population was in the stadium watching it happen. Thoroughly deserved winners too. Apparently they want us to join their FTA, which also includes Greenland and Faroe Islands. I think they were taking the piss, but you can't be too sure these days.

Just Wales left now. Cymru am byth! It Rourke's Drift all over again.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

The England vs. Iceland game was great for the (first) 30 min that I saw. All the action happened then, and the equalizer coming just two minutes after Rooney's score was quite a statement. Lots of heart despite being a team out-pedigreed on paper.
Chris A
Veteran

Post by Chris A »

KitD wrote:2 Brexits in a week.

England have just been knocked out of the Euro 2016 "football" competition by Iceland, 10% of whose population was in the stadium watching it happen. Thoroughly deserved winners too. Apparently they want us to join their FTA, which also includes Greenland and Faroe Islands. I think they were taking the piss, but you can't be too sure these days.

Just Wales left now. Cymru am byth! It Rourke's Drift all over again.
The EEA includes Norway and Liechtenstein as well. Will be the least worst outcome of the negotiations.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
caustic
Old timer

Post by caustic »

In these times of uncertainty, the thing that scares me the most is that there's a non-trivial probability that that could happen. Granted, .001% is not likely, but it's on the board, which is wasn't even in the same orbit before.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Boris Johnson for President!
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein