Post by cleverusername »

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabl ... 38374.html

with no-strap heartrate...

Anyone have? good bad?
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Re: another wrist gps

Post by Stelph »

I have, it's very good - has rowing as an activity and uses the accelerometer inside to track your rating while you wear it on the wrist and can display the split in 500m splits although the GPS smoothing isn't as good as the Nk GPS meaning it does jump around a bit, but over the whole outing it gives accurate speed

Only downside is doesn't support ant+fe so can't connect to c2 PM4/5 currently, however as its connectiq supporting the word is sis that an app could be created that supports it - if that does come out its really the perfect rowers watch and I use mine Essemtially as a logger for my day to day actions with the 24/7 HR and then workout logs
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

cleverusername wrote:https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/wearabl ... 38374.html

Anyone have? good bad?
looks like all the smart watches (Apple, Basis, Fitbit, etc) LED sensors to read heart rate, perspiration sensors, skin temperature sensors, all on the back of the watch.

I have had a Basis Peak for a while now, accuracy is spot on with a consumer chest strap (Wahoo TICKR - it will record data even if not connected to a device!)

my only problem with the watch is that it loses HR when rowing or biking (i.e. if my wrist is moving) so i have been using it solely to monitor resting heart rate (overnight) and as a silent alarm clock - it has been awesome at this - i wake up quietly, see how my sleep was, see my lowest heart rate was 39 or 69 or 46, and have a little data to compare my state of tired to.
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Post by Stelph »

sandor wrote:

Anyone have? good bad?
looks like all the smart watches (Apple, Basis, Fitbit, etc) LED sensors to read heart rate, perspiration sensors, skin temperature sensors, all on the back of the watch.

I have had a Basis Peak for a while now, accuracy is spot on with a consumer chest strap (Wahoo TICKR - it will record data even if not connected to a device!)

my only problem with the watch is that it loses HR when rowing or biking (i.e. if my wrist is moving) so i have been using it solely to monitor resting heart rate (overnight) and as a silent alarm clock - it has been awesome at this - i wake up quietly, see how my sleep was, see my lowest heart rate was 39 or 69 or 46, and have a little data to compare my state of tired to.
That's more or less what I use the 24/7 wrist optical HR for with the Vivoactive, its crap for rowing and upper body weights but works fine for cycling/running (any cross training that doesn't use the arms really) and it easily lets me track sleep and resting HR which can be an indicator or fatigue

Since you mention the basis peak, have you seen they are having a recall of all their products and are closing down? My understanding is it will no longer work after the end of the year, tho I'd recommend getting the Vivoactive with the refund!

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2016/08/tech ... tform.html
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Stelph wrote:
sandor wrote:

Anyone have? good bad?

That's more or less what I use the 24/7 wrist optical HR for with the Vivoactive, its crap for rowing and upper body weights but works fine for cycling/running (any cross training that doesn't use the arms really) and it easily lets me track sleep and resting HR which can be an indicator or fatigue

Since you mention the basis peak, have you seen they are having a recall of all their products and are closing down? My understanding is it will no longer work after the end of the year, tho I'd recommend getting the Vivoactive with the refund!

i am still in denial :) it has been two years that i have been using it.
the Vivoactive looks great - but i have to try it on. it is a little larger than the Peak, but thinner (which may be a good trade off)

i have had no issues at all with the Basis, but will take my full refund, with tax, and my .csv file of lifetime data, and move to a newer device.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Stelph wrote:
sandor wrote:

Anyone have? good bad?

Stelph, just wanted to update...my $234 "sorry our watch burned your skin" check arrived from Intel, so i got the Vivoactive HR https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/into-sp ... 38374.html as a replacement.

it is noticeably bigger (taller) on my wrist, but has (so far) had 2x the battery life of the Basis with my use. I don't really track any activity with it (GPS) but that would probably be great for runners. the heart rate is accurate, the display of daily, weekly, monthly & yearly RHR (in the app) is great! i can already see my RHR changing based on my training load. all told, i got to use the Basis for 2+ years, get a full refund & replace it with a current generation solution :)
beagle
Elite

Post by beagle »

does anyone suffer 'connectivity' issues with wrist gps/hr devices? do they require a certain amount of 'tightness?'
FIVE MILES OUT
singlesculler
Pre-Elite

Post by singlesculler »

Yes they need to be somewhat tight. Also lots of data out there saying that they are not very accurate for any sports that require a tight grip (i.e. rowing!) as the tensed forarm muscle doesn't allow for a good HR reading. They are excellent for general 24hr fitness tool though, like sleep/wake cycles, resting HR, etc..
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

beagle wrote:does anyone suffer 'connectivity' issues with wrist gps/hr devices? do they require a certain amount of 'tightness?'

i have unstable readings with any activity that bends my wrist (cycling/rowing) i don't run, so i have no data on that.
but i use a chest strap when i am actually exercising & use the wrist HR only to monitor my RHR overnight & as a silent alarm - the Basis Peak & now Garmin Vivoactive HR work incredibly well for this.

you figure, with optical sensors, if the sensor moves from patch of skin where it was originally at, the reading will be interrupted. This is a limitation of NIRS sensors, and we see the same thing with SpO2 sensors, muscle O2 sensors, retinal oximetry sensors, etc. they compare readings at a precise tissue location in order to measure blood flow.

chest straps have more leeway in terms of movement, as they use electrocardiography, and do not rely on interpretation of flow dynamics.
beagle
Elite

Post by beagle »

thanks... i will stick to my NK GPS w HR... all i need to do is sync with my chest strap and can then leave my wrist free from any device
FIVE MILES OUT
rowmitchuous
Varsity

Post by rowmitchuous »

beagle wrote:thanks... i will stick to my NK GPS w HR... all i need to do is sync with my chest strap and can then leave my wrist free from any device
Which heart rate strap do you use? I just got one and I keep having issues with the circular button not staying snapped into the actual strap, it stays secure through a row but if anything touches it then it pops out, so usually when I stop for water I have to reach up in front of my footstretcher for the water and my oars lightly touch my chest and cause the button to fall off and then it's nearly impossible to put back on.
beagle
Elite

Post by beagle »

rowmitchuous wrote:
beagle wrote:thanks... i will stick to my NK GPS w HR... all i need to do is sync with my chest strap and can then leave my wrist free from any device
Which heart rate strap do you use? I just got one and I keep having issues with the circular button not staying snapped into the actual strap, it stays secure through a row but if anything touches it then it pops out, so usually when I stop for water I have to reach up in front of my footstretcher for the water and my oars lightly touch my chest and cause the button to fall off and then it's nearly impossible to put back on.
the NK strap... no issues yet... almost daily use for 1 1/2 years
FIVE MILES OUT
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

rowmitchuous wrote:
you should return it then - i have never had this issue with any strap staying "snapped" (multiple Polar, Garmin & Wahoo straps over the past 20 years)
they definitely loose their stretchiness and start to sag, and i have had the actual transmitter portion (centerpiece) split open on the 1st generation Bluetooth Wahoo TICKR, but they replaced it for free.
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Post by Stelph »

I use mine in the same way as Sandro does, it's more of a backup device for the NK that, without the strap, measures my day to day non rowing activity, resting HR etc taken from my wrist, and when rowing I use a cheap Bluetooth and ANT+ dual broadcasting belt which connects to the garmin and NK at the same time - the garmin records the workout continuously where as I set the workouts on my NK and follow that letting the garmin log away

The reason I do that is the garmin is just so much better at uploading your data to your training log, mine automatically syncs with garmin connect which then also shares with strava and can share with sanders site if i want to analyse it more, NK just isn't very good at this at the moment ending you to download the workout to your pc and then manually upload yourself - I just don't want to waste time doing that
beagle
Elite

Post by beagle »

i get that

and even as a metrics-oriented kind of guy, post row analysis certainly has its place... i am using the NK simply for real time feedback for HR driven training sessions, that is all... even at the end of the day, there are so many environmental factors that influence GPS data that can't be fully expressed and ultimately assessed once back in front of my macbook pro, regardless of application

am i wrong here?
FIVE MILES OUT