Pitch and Digging Deep

beagle
Elite

Re: Pitch and Digging Deep

Post by beagle »

I read it as, where the blade meets the shaft. Any one else read it differently?
FIVE MILES OUT
RowCoachValentin
Novice

Post by RowCoachValentin »

Whoa...This is awesome; Thanks for helping!

What started my thinking on this topic was my stroke (in a double) gets stuck at the finish because of his oar depth. Watching his hands and his drive, it looks horizontal, but the finish timing was off because he was so deep. He rows a single well, so now I'm trying to figure out why he isn't stuck in the single but gets stuck in the double.

Just checking to make sure I understand, looks like I need to go back and re-check the pitch on the pin, specifically how it affects the oar at the finish.

The tape being 40cm on the shaft of the oar...I am assuming it's the same for sculling as it is sweeping.

Thanks again!
KiwiCanuck
Elite

Post by KiwiCanuck »

Checking the pitch on the double will be a good thing to do - as well, if he's using different blades from when in his single, it might pay to also check the pitch on the blades.

I've had a boat set up exactly how I wanted it - vertical pins, 4 degrees on the gates - but the sculler could NOT row it.. Until I checked the blades and adjusted the pitches on them to "zero"... After that - the first comment from the sculler was "Oh, now it's easy and I can start working hard," or something along those lines.

Consequently, I check the pitch on blades when setting up a new boat/blades combination.
catdailey
Novice

Post by catdailey »

beagle wrote:I read it as, where the blade meets the shaft. Any one else read it differently?
Beagle:

I was confused by this as well. If you go 40 cm from where the blade meets the shaft, that looked very far up the shaft to me. I made my measurement from the blade end on the facing side (inner edge???) to 40 cm up the shaft. That seems long as well, but when I row with it, it looks right to me based on what I see with top scullers. Keep in mind, though, that I'm a novice, so it's entirely possible that I'm completely off base :)

I have a good photo, but I'm not sure how to post it here.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

beagle wrote:I read it as, where the blade meets the shaft. Any one else read it differently?

this is exactly how i read it.

looking at his diagram, that seems to be what is insinuated - 0 degrees has the waterline at shaft-meets-blade (zeros wetted area of shaft)
Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 4.52.36 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2016-10-18 at 4.52.36 PM.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 404 times