Help with para athlete/equipment and safety

Moderator: lt.wolf

GlasedDonut
Novice

Help with para athlete/equipment and safety

Post by GlasedDonut »

Hi all,
I've been a youth coach in North Carolina for a few years now, and have come across my first para-youth rower. He had a stroke as a young child, and now has a severe limp and minimal muscle control in his left leg. Other than that, he's very strong, coordinated, and athletic.

My question is what, if any, equipment issues do I need to consider for safety? He has been out in a trainer 1x and an 8+ filled with some experienced rowers, and has the stroke and skill figured out (better than some of my other, experienced rowers even!) The problem is if a boat is ever to flip, he could have trouble getting his left foot out of the shoe. Just getting in and out normally, he has to use both hands to really finagle his foot and leg the right way. Unfortunately, equipment is shared across the whole club, so a severe shoe retrofit would be tough unless an able-bodied rower isn't affected by it.

Thanks for any input and thoughts!
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Help with para athlete/equipment and safety

Post by lt.wolf »

Contact Shimano , they have an approved FISA quick release system.
bd_sculler
Pre-Elite

Post by bd_sculler »

Another option might be to go to clogs. I do winter sculling and use them for safety: I do not want to try to find and release straps if I am in ice water. I leave the straps loose so my feet would come out if I ever flip.
Clogs.JPG
Clogs.JPG (45.89 KiB) Viewed 461 times
LakeGator
Varsity

Post by LakeGator »

Have you tried with his left foot out of the shoe?