Bradley Wiggins Rowing?

Moderator: fatsculler

Rocket-Sauce
Pre-Elite

Bradley Wiggins Rowing?

Post by Rocket-Sauce »

This story has been popping up all over the web, but with no real details.
http://www.bbc.com/sport/rowing/40463299
It seems to me that it was just something Wiggo said in passing that the press ran with. Click bait that I totally fell for.
Recipient of 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year
KitD
Old timer

Re: Bradley Wiggins Rowing?

Post by KitD »

Discussed here:
http://www.rowingillustrated.com/boards ... f=1&t=8161

General consensus seems to be he might have the engine for it, but will probably fall down on technique/bulking up/age.
Chris A
Veteran

Post by Chris A »

KitD wrote:Discussed here:
http://www.rowingillustrated.com/boards ... f=1&t=8161

General consensus seems to be he might have the engine for it, but will probably fall down on technique/bulking up/age.
Are he and Cracknell doing the Boston Marathon then? Im2 in a double.
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

6:22 2k erg. “I told you so”. Not even V8 fast in a fast club program. I guess this will end the hype.
"Speed Matters"
zrow
JV

Post by zrow »

Why do I feel vindicated?
Rowing ought to be taken seriously by even the most hyped up celebrities of other sports.
If he dares to race in a 1x 2000m trial (when is the next one?), my prediction:
7:25 at best, or a flip with a lot of weather/equipment excuses at the starting line.

Please, respect rowing, Sir Bradley Wiggins, or go away...
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

zrow wrote:Why do I feel vindicated?
Rowing ought to be taken seriously by even the most hyped up celebrities of other sports.
7:25 at best, or a flip with a lot of weather/equipment excuses at the starting line.

??
In what way has he disrespected rowing? I think he has been quite clear in saying what good athletes rowers are.

I think there's been a fair amount of projection on this board about his motivation and attitude. I'm no great fan of his, but he is simply having a go. Maybe his demeanour is a bit "English" for overseas audiences :)
zrow
JV

Post by zrow »

KitD wrote:

??
In what way has he disrespected rowing? I think he has been quite clear in saying what good athletes rowers are.

I think there's been a fair amount of projection on this board about his motivation and attitude. I'm no great fan of his, but he is simply having a go. Maybe his demeanour is a bit "English" for overseas audiences :)
KitD, perhaps I am wrong. It just feels like his statements about making the British National team are a bit arrogant. Perhaps the whole hoo-ha about his rowing is annoying.
Why would not he "give it a go" quietly. That would have been a lot more "English" in my view.
Mahe's return has not created as much stir as Wiggins' campaign, no?
In fact, that "all eyes on me" is a lot more American than British ;-)
(man, am I going to be buried alive here... :-)
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

zrow wrote:
KitD wrote:

??

KitD, perhaps I am wrong. It just feels like his statements about making the British National team are a bit arrogant. Perhaps the whole hoo-ha about his rowing is annoying.
Why would not he "give it a go" quietly. That would have been a lot more "English" in my view.

+1 KitD. These statements are divorced from reality. Just because story after story has been published doesn't mean the guy is going around running his mouth. Where is all the outrage about Bond "disrespecting" cycling?
zrow
JV

Post by zrow »

socalstroke wrote:
zrow wrote:
KitD wrote:

??

+1 KitD. These statements are divorced from reality. Just because story after story has been published doesn't mean the guy is going around running his mouth. Where is all the outrage about Bond "disrespecting" cycling?
Honestly... are those his quotes?
Wiggins, 37, revealed: “I took up rowing when I retired from cycling just to keep fit, but my numbers started getting quite good so I've started taking it up professionally now and getting coached seven days a week.
“I'm doing the British championships in December, and I'm going to see how far I can take it – maybe a sixth Olympic gold?”

Never heard of Bond making statements like that. He is working his way up patiently and quietly and started from small local events.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

that's all you got? One quote without any context (serious, cheeky, sarcastic)? Sounds like a lot of my former teammates. The only reason you are hearing about it is his last name is Wiggins. Come back to reality.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

I think his style takes some getting used to. He has a very laconic tongue-in-cheek manner which annoys quite a few (ie me) but is ultimately pretty harmless. And gets overlooked anyway because of his achievements.

I can see he might look like he isn't taking rowing that seriously. I suspect he is, but he needs to learn that he has yet to earn the respect of a subset of his chosen sport, and he probably hasn't had to think that way for a while.
zrow
JV

Post by zrow »

socalstroke wrote:that's all you got? One quote without any context (serious, cheeky, sarcastic)? Sounds like a lot of my former teammates. The only reason you are hearing about it is his last name is Wiggins. Come back to reality.
I must admit that I did not realize that the whole thing is a tongue in cheek joke, a prank. Very clever...
:oops:
I get it now. thanks
Eightplusandunder
Varsity

Post by Eightplusandunder »

And we wonder why rowers get portrayed as having our heads so far up our asses!

That quote was funny as hell. I certainly got a good chuckle out of it.

If he doesn't pull like a dog, he doesn't do well, and results speak for themselves. Otherwise, no harm done to any party

Let's not get little England on this.
SamG
Varsity

Post by SamG »

A nice contrast in the cyclist to rower story line is the rower to cyclist story of Hamish Bond,

He has won the NZ time trial test race by a minute and a half, to gain commonwealth games selection. he has also visibly changed physique to skinny right down in the upper body.
Chris A
Veteran

Post by Chris A »

He'll be making his first appearance in a TSS 8+ at the Vets Head this Sunday