Best boat cover

Moderator: lt.wolf

rowingallday
JV

Best boat cover

Post by rowingallday »

Anybody have reviews of boat covers? Looking at either zip cover vs. Burnham boat covers.

Burnham offers Nylon Cordura or Sunbrella (Acrylic) bags.

Zip Covers offers Acrylic coated Polyester, Sunbrella (Acrylic), and Polyester/Acrylic, and specifically does NOT offer Nylon with claims it shrinks.

Any recommendations for either? Both seem popular.
sandor
Old timer

Re: Best boat cover

Post by sandor »

rowingallday wrote:Anybody have reviews of boat covers? Looking at either zip cover vs. Burnham boat covers.

Zip Covers offers Acrylic coated Polyester, Sunbrella (Acrylic), and Polyester/Acrylic, and specifically does NOT offer Nylon with claims it shrinks.

for storing? indoor or out? subject to moisture or freezing?
or just for transport?
rowingallday
JV

Post by rowingallday »

Interested to hear what you think is best for all conditions.

But for my particular case, it is for occasional (~2 weeks/year) storage outdoors during Spring - Fall + transport.

One benefit it seems of the Zipcover is they have sectional bags for an 8+. A few boatmen have mentioned it's better to transport an 8+ in sections, so that seems to be a big benefit.
Sculler22
Novice

Post by Sculler22 »

Zipcover has a variety of covers, both fully enclosed and some with allowance for airflow over the cockpit and decking. I use the former for winter storage, the latter for the rest of the year and for transport. I have separate covers for the rigger and for my sculls. I am very pleased with all of the above.
track_bites
Varsity

Post by track_bites »

Hi, I've have a zipcover (coated acrylic) that I have used consistently since 2013 because I store my boat outdoors from April to November. It has held up perfectly. No problems with shrinkage or any other issues, I've had a Burnham sunbrella cover for about a year and it survived a winter outdoors on Cape Cod within getting ripped apart or fading. Both are high quality products.

The Zipcover is a lot heavier and stiffer, so it takes up more room when it's not on the boat. The fabric on the inside of the zipcover is a bit tougher than the fabric on the inside of the burnam cover. The burnham lining has started to pill around the skeg opening.

I think you would be satisfied with either. You could probably use price or delivery time to make the decision.
twillsallen
Novice

Post by twillsallen »

Anybody have reviews of boat covers? Looking at either zip cover vs. Burnham boat covers.

I have used both brands for long term storage (in the Australian sun) and for transport. Both make very good covers and both companies have offered excellent service. Burnham's Sunbrella has excellent UV resistance, but will abrade in certain circumstances. Zip-Cover's polyester / acrylic is UV resistant and tougher. The difference only becomes apparent when car topping boats directly on the cross bars or if the boat trailer's racks don't have sufficient padding.