Jeannine Gmelin

Steven M-M
Elite

Jeannine Gmelin

Post by Steven M-M »

Does anyone know how Gmelin is rigged: boat + oars? A short rower wants to know....
Steven M-M
sandor
Old timer

Re: Jeannine Gmelin

Post by sandor »

FISA conducted a rigging survey at the World Championships in 2017, so, worst case, the data should be in there once it is published.
rowingallday
JV

Post by rowingallday »

When do they usually publish these surveys? Interested in more than a few crews from last year’s championships.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

rowingallday wrote:When do they usually publish these surveys? Interested in more than a few crews from last year’s championships.

no clue. in 2006 & 1999 it seemed to have been released by this far into the next year. But it looks to be a more complete data set for 2017.

Steven M-M - interestingly there seemed to be very little correlation in 2006 regarding rigging & height. In fact, in the top 9 M1x, the smallest physical sized sculler had the highest gearing, and the shortest and tallest scullers both used the longest overall oar length.
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 3.38.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 3.38.52 PM.png (151.99 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 3.43.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-11 at 3.43.50 PM.png (104.27 KiB) Viewed 1434 times
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

What is: Feet Position (Heels)?
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Long'n Strong wrote:What is: Feet Position (Heels)?
from FISA's document defining measurements:
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 1.16.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-12 at 1.16.03 PM.png (138.24 KiB) Viewed 1336 times
Long'n Strong
Old timer

Post by Long'n Strong »

There's no way Heels below seat can be 37cms - 16.5, maybe. 37 no.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Long'n Strong wrote:There's no way Heels below seat can be 37cms - 16.5, maybe. 37 no.
not below seat.

rowing face of the swivel --> heels
catdailey
Novice

Post by catdailey »

Scroll down a bit and there’s a diagram of how they took the measurements:

https://www.rowperfect.co.uk/fisa-rigging-survey/

Carol
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Steven M-M wrote:Does anyone know how Gmelin is rigged: boat + oars? A short rower wants to know....

Why a presumption that she is rigged around her height, rather than her power output?

I concede her height may certainly be wrapped up inside all of that, but unless you're generating equivalent power, of what value would her rigging be to you?
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

rowing wrote:
Steven M-M wrote:Does anyone know how Gmelin is rigged: boat + oars? A short rower wants to know....

Why a presumption that she is rigged around her height, rather than her power output?

I concede her height may certainly be wrapped up inside all of that, but unless you're generating equivalent power, of what value would her rigging be to you?
Probably because many may think of rigging larger boats, where rigging to a rower's dimensions can allow matching a short rower to a tall one, and matching overall length & arc. The blue rigging book (cannot for the life of me remember the title) talks a good bit about this - matching up short & tall rowers in a 2x, etc.

In a single, i think i would agree that there is much more room for rigging to a rowers strength ( high stroke rates, high power, whatever it may be) as there is no need to match another athlete in the boat, and certainly no need to match other competitors' rigging.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Following someone else's rigging like it's some sort of amazing magic is ridonkulous.
pmacaula
Pre-Elite

Post by pmacaula »

Would be interesting to know the Can W2- rig. There must be at least 6” height difference between Filmer and Jansens.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Does 6" in height automatically mean shorter arc?

What if there are differences in limb and torso length?

Why do so many rowers have a crew parent's grasp of the variables involved?????
beagle
Elite

Post by beagle »

sandor wrote:
rowing wrote:

Probably because many may think of rigging larger boats, where rigging to a rower's dimensions can allow matching a short rower to a tall one, and matching overall length & arc. The blue rigging book (cannot for the life of me remember the title) talks a good bit about this - matching up short & tall rowers in a 2x, etc.

In a single, i think i would agree that there is much more room for rigging to a rowers strength ( high stroke rates, high power, whatever it may be) as there is no need to match another athlete in the boat, and certainly no need to match other competitors' rigging.
Rigging - Michael Purcer
FIVE MILES OUT