UVic Women's Head Coach under investigation for abuse and harassment

limegreenspeed
Elite

Re: UVic Women's Head Coach under investigation for abuse and harassment

Post by limegreenspeed »

That's not an argument, it's a non-sequitur. I'm trying to have a civil disagreement with you but it's proving difficult. I get that you feel like you're alone in defending a man against the mob, good on you, often mobs aren't well-motivated, but it's also worth considering whether the mob might have a point some of the time.

If your argument is that we should always respect investigations and their findings once they've concluded, it's an exceedingly weak argument, there are countless cases of botched investigations, where universities covered up findings that would lead to bad press, etc., where few if any believe the wrongs uncovered should be left unpunished because there wasn't a policy explicitly addressing those behaviors. If you can't articulate a better, more substantive, argument, with fewer jabs and non-sequiters, I don't see the point in engaging.
Andre
Varsity

Post by Andre »

limegreenspeed wrote:That's not an argument, it's a non-sequitur. I'm trying to have a civil disagreement with you but it's proving difficult. I get that you feel like you're alone in defending a man against the mob, good on you, often mobs aren't well-motivated, but it's also worth considering whether the mob might have a point some of the time.

If your argument is that we should always respect investigations and their findings once they've concluded, it's an exceedingly weak argument, there are countless cases of botched investigations, where universities covered up findings that would lead to bad press, etc., where few if any believe the wrongs uncovered should be left unpunished because there wasn't a policy explicitly addressing those behaviors. If you can't articulate a better, more substantive, argument, with fewer jabs and non-sequiters, I don't see the point in engaging.
It is pointless to have this discussion with Rowing. Thinks he/she is smarter than everyone else and is in love with their cute little jabs!

Hopefully the University will allow the process to be investigated and the the truth will come out. That is all we that have some concern for vulnerable athletes and the long list of alumni can ask for.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

You will not like living under the rules you create.
Andre
Varsity

Post by Andre »

rowing wrote:You will not like living under the rules you create.
I rest my case!
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

I shall watch the comedy that follows.
limegreenspeed
Elite

Post by limegreenspeed »

I enjoy watching you contort to make arguments when all you do is assert your conclusion repeatedly
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

What "conclusion" are you reading?
loblaw
Elite

Post by loblaw »

Andre wrote:
rowing wrote:
I rest my case!
There is a "foe" function that hides a person's posts. Save yourself needless face palming.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Also known as the p##$% switch.

To each their own cage.
str8four
Veteran

Post by str8four »

I have read the entire 128 post thread and the linked stories. I think this is a first for me, but I am siding with the general point made by Rowing (but not his pithy 1-liners or arrogant approach). Here is why:

limegreenspeed, Norm gave you a reasonable story of where there was smoke but no fire. That may or may not be the case with UVic and Williams, the investigation determined the path forward and it is being followed. Rowing explained that when you don't think the process produced the right outcome you go back and rework the process to prevent that from happening going forward, you don't switch the process after the fact and reapply it because the losing side isn't happy with the results. You agreed with him a few posts ago and then added and but . . . After you agreed, continuing to complain about the result and call for an investigation of the investigation, which could then lead to an investigation of the investigation of the investigation if you and some number of alumni aren't happy with that result either, is just sour grapes.

If Williams is/was an abusive coach unfit to coach women's collegiate rowing one of three things is going to eventually happen:
1. He will screw up (maybe again) and this time the investigation will produce enough hard evidence to substantiate his firing.
2. He will learn from this experience and adjust his ways going forward.
3. The women's college recruiting market in Canada will vote with its feet, he will lose recruits to other schools and lead to less success.

I don't know if justice was served in this case or not. I do think that a reasonable process produced a reasonable outcome, so UVic is the initial winner here as they probably won't be successfully sued by either side.
The aim of an agrument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

UVic is already being sued (as of last fall) by one athlete. There are 17 athletes who lodged complaints. There were 60 alumni who demanded an investigation. I'm not sure this was an isolated incident whose investigation report ought to be hidden. Clearly the actions that UVic took following the report indicate that this is not acceptable behavior, but why they believe that the appropriate thing to do is to subject the same team (whistleblowers and all) to the same coach is beyond me.

Again, this process was not transparent to the point where there could have been no investigation with the same results. If there was an impartial investigation, then produce the report with its findings. Otherwise this is being hidden as much as Nasser, Jordan, Sandusky, etc.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

So we're back to "it's never enough."

And that is why you fail.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Was it enough for those who complained about Catholic priest abuse? Was it enough for the kids abused by Jerry Sandusky? Oh, I guess it was "enough" for you the first time around there...those victims were clearly on your "Team Whine" list of losers, huh?
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

You're not really comparing the acts involved, are you?

Geez, I'm surprised you would even approve of German boats, because you know, Hitler.