New C2 Blade

Moderator: lt.wolf

JD
Old timer

Re: New C2 Blade

Post by JD »

one of the spring break crews down here was using the Comp sweeps. They aren't a giant killer squad, but they said they liked them compared to the Smoothies. They were easy to handle and cleaner on the release.

More anecdotal hard data for ya, Rowing!
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I am still waiting for moore feedback on the comp sweep .

I have recently fallen for the Croker M47 sweep .
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

lt.wolf wrote:I am still waiting for moore feedback on the comp sweep .

We got a set for our Jr Men's 4+ (6:35 2k average) spent a bunch of time with Comps and Smoothie Plain Edge Skinny (both 374mm length with 115mm inboard, spread of 85mm) and they ended up somewhere around "not that different" but we ended up going with the smoothies.

In terms of feel, they reported that the comp feels lighter at the handle (how much force to maintain handle height as well as how much torque to square/feather). They felt the front end grab was a little more confident/secure with the smoothies (the opposite of the C2 claim).

We have stuck with the comps in the 8+ (6:50 2k average), but haven't yet done a back to back comparison with the smoothies.

The 2V4 (all sub 160lbs, 7:05 2k average) stuck with the comps and likes them fine.

Seems like maybe they work a little better for lighter crews (women and lightweight men), but that's an anecdotal observation. We haven't gotten any of the sculling ones yet, those seem to have gotten a faster take rate than the sweep.
cjrows
Novice

Post by cjrows »

FullSend wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:I am still waiting for moore feedback on the comp sweep .

We got a set for our Jr Men's 4+ (6:35 2k average) spent a bunch of time with Comps and Smoothie Plain Edge Skinny (both 374mm length with 115mm inboard, spread of 85mm) and they ended up somewhere around "not that different" but we ended up going with the smoothies.

In terms of feel, they reported that the comp feels lighter at the handle (how much force to maintain handle height as well as how much torque to square/feather). They felt the front end grab was a little more confident/secure with the smoothies (the opposite of the C2 claim).

We have stuck with the comps in the 8+ (6:50 2k average), but haven't yet done a back to back comparison with the smoothies.

The 2V4 (all sub 160lbs, 7:05 2k average) stuck with the comps and likes them fine.

Seems like maybe they work a little better for lighter crews (women and lightweight men), but that's an anecdotal observation. We haven't gotten any of the sculling ones yet, those seem to have gotten a faster take rate than the sweep.
Anyone know the surface area of the Comps and how it compares to the smoothie? This thread is harkening back to the days of the Big Blade choice between a 52 and 55 cm blade while the Smoothie is a 54cm blade.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

I can take some measurements tomorrow with pictures. Smoothie definitely seems like more surface area.

As an update, we did some comparisons in our V8 (V4 guys are in it) and felt better about the comps especially when you get around 40spm they felt it was easier to manage the blade work.
yeahbuddy
Elite

Post by yeahbuddy »

Then we are back to some blades shine at some ratings and for some crews, so you should learn how to rig your oars no matter what they are.

Free speed right there!
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

FullSend wrote:I can take some measurements tomorrow with pictures. Smoothie definitely seems like more surface area.

As an update, we did some comparisons in our V8 (V4 guys are in it) and felt better about the comps especially when you get around 40spm they felt it was easier to manage the blade work.
A few years back I had a chat with Pete at C2. He was saying that their tests indicated that the inboard portion of the Smoothie or Fat blade does little or nothing. They were, at the time, considering just eliminating that portion of the blade and reducing total surface area. It appears they have done just that.

Many of us in multi-use club programs have complained that you either have to use all Fats or all Smoothies/BB's/Slicks. With the Fats one has to rig the boat differently and for those of us sharing equipment, it's a time sink. The Comps should eliminate that problem, but still, as has been shown internationally, oars may just be the least important equipment issue.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
yeahbuddy
Elite

Post by yeahbuddy »

Hacksaw dare accepted!
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Seeing Sinkovics and Ollie on the comps recently
Ian Randall
Novice

Post by Ian Randall »

You may be interested to hear a very revealing Podcast on the development of the COMP with Will Chambers, Concept 2 marketing representative Meredith Breiland and lead engineer Kevin Stevenson.

The development of the COMP represents a clear shift away from science lead innovation.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0QITVb ... 0OLbg&dd=1

I have written a response to this interview published in Junior Rowing News UK.

https://juniorrowingnews.com/concept-2s ... nnovation/

It begins...

"When you hear a lead engineer from Concept 2 say “the best thing about the Vortex strip is that it protects the blade from damage” you start to think that something has changed at Concept 2..."
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

No, you're right .. we should all use the stiffest oars money can buy. Like golf clubs, it's just a matter of personal comfort.

Stimulating article. References are thought-provoking. As is another article of scientific study: "Listening to Music in the First, but not the Last 1.5 km
of a 5-km Running Trial Alters Pacing Strategy and Improves Performance" .. does the music genre affect how fast the boat will go in the first 500? (IJSportsMedicine, May 2012).

My preference is for this group in Delft, who have produced a number of carefully qualified studies in vorticity and blade angle, viz., "Improving rowing performance by adjusting oar blade size and angle" (Frontiers in Sports and Active Living · March 2023) -- follow the references at the end of the article. Q: if C2 bends the oar 15 degrees and I add the foils (now-bent 15 degrees) will the performance % be additive?
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

oldman wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 2:12 pm No, you're right .. we should all use the stiffest oars money can buy. Like golf clubs, it's just a matter of personal comfort. By the way, it's not always the case that stiff bikes are fast bikes.

Stimulating article. References are thought-provoking. As is another article of scientific study: "Listening to Music in the First, but not the Last 1.5 km
of a 5-km Running Trial Alters Pacing Strategy and Improves Performance" .. does the music genre affect how fast the boat will go in the first 500? (IJSportsMedicine, May 2012).

My preference is for this group in Delft, who have produced a number of carefully qualified studies in vorticity and blade angle, viz., "Improving rowing performance by adjusting oar blade size and angle" (Frontiers in Sports and Active Living · March 2023) -- follow the references at the end of the article. Q: if C2 bends the oar 15 degrees and I add the foils will the performance % be additive?
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

This foily guy needs to make some oars!

I would buy a set.
Splashy
JV

Post by Splashy »

Ian Randall wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 11:45 pm The development of the COMP represents a clear shift away from science lead innovation.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/0QITVb ... 0OLbg&dd=1

I have written a response to this interview published in Junior Rowing News UK.

https://juniorrowingnews.com/concept-2s ... nnovation/
You go on in your article about the Portuguese research, but has it even been demonstrated that testing oars tethered in a tank has any transferable results to real rowing? It just goes into the pile of sh*t rowing reseach that isn't worth looking at.

Junior Rowing News aren't exactly known for their quality content, given the pages of "carefully researched" event previews they put out.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Watching Penn Women row heats of NCAA with what sure looked like comps, I was impressed with how clean they were at the finish.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein