New C2 Blade

Moderator: lt.wolf

sandor
Old timer

Re: New C2 Blade

Post by sandor »

rowing wrote:Weird that you would catch the tops of waves with the hanging belly of the Fat blade, but not the Comp, as they are precisely the same width. Maybe because of different rigging?

I cannot get past the lack of connection at the finish for either of them. My favorite continues to be original issue cleaver. Smooth faces are overrated.
comp_new_compare.jpg
comp_new_compare.jpg (14.12 KiB) Viewed 1459 times
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Thank you for the visual confirming identical width.
platypus
Varsity

Post by platypus »

rowing wrote:Weird that you would catch the tops of waves with the hanging belly of the Fat blade, but not the Comp, as they are precisely the same width. Maybe because of different rigging?

I cannot get past the lack of connection at the finish for either of them. My favorite continues to be original issue cleaver. Smooth faces are overrated.

I don't know the scientific reason as to why the Fats2 blade caught the tops of waves in the rough and the Comp didn't. But I did notice this on every occasion, including this morning. I hazard a guess that this may be due to the leghth of the outboard board, and consequent different angles, as you approach the catch. I had the Fats2 rigged with 6cm less outboard than conventional rigg, whereas the Comp oars were rigged 1.5 cm longer than a conventional rigg. Both had 86cm inboard. That makes for a huge difference in oar length, and with the cut away inner sections of the Comp blade, together with a more horizontal and longer reach, probably gave less opportunity for the waves to collect the blades. There's also the fact that the smaller sized comp blades offer less surface area for the wind to catch than any other current oar blade design available. That's why they felt easier to row with in rough & windy conditions.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

platypus wrote:

I don't know the scientific reason as to why the Fats2 blade caught the tops of waves in the rough and the Comp didn't. But I did notice this on every occasion, including this morning. I hazard a guess that this may be due to the leghth of the outboard board, and consequent different angles, as you approach the catch. I had the Fats2 rigged with 6cm less outboard than conventional rigg, whereas the Comp oars were rigged 1.5 cm longer than a conventional rigg. Both had 86cm inboard. That makes for a huge difference in oar length, and with the cut away inner sections of the Comp blade, together with a more horizontal and longer reach, probably gave less opportunity for the waves to collect the blades. There's also the fact that the smaller sized comp blades offer less surface area for the wind to catch than any other current oar blade design available. That's why they felt easier to row with in rough & windy conditions.
No way the Comp is smaller than Dreher rounds. Get a set of those and tell us the clean and dirty.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

Had some guests here rowing with them and they really liked them. It was very windy, but they said they felt easier to handle in the high wind and chop.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

They used to say that about the rounds too, until they got dropped for the new shiny thing that came after.

You know what's timeless and always in fashion?

Dedicated training and a commitment to bladework.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

rowing wrote:They used to say that about the rounds too, until they got dropped for the new shiny thing that came after.

You know what's timeless and always in fashion?

Dedicated training and a commitment to bladework.

I aspire to the stories of the LM1x who was comfortable squaring late in headwind conditions & raced square in a tailwind.
Any advantage possible.

I may have zero chance of developing a world championship level physiological profile, but the 80 year olds show bladework doesn't need it.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

platypus wrote: I don't know the scientific reason as to why the Fats2 blade caught the tops of waves in the rough and the Comp didn't. But I did notice this on every occasion, including this morning.
platypus { . . . in another thread . . . } wrote:I noticed this morning that the shorter Fat2 oars give me more height (clearance of the water without any adjustment of the spacers under the oarlock gates).
Whaaaatttt. Riddle me this, Fatman????
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Is this the comp blade

FRA 2x
Attachments
8DFF3552-CEEC-4413-9913-ADBE6FBEE8D6.jpeg
8DFF3552-CEEC-4413-9913-ADBE6FBEE8D6.jpeg (208.74 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Podcast with C2 ,posted , new c2 blade , etc

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/r ... 0526456254
Stelph
Pre-Elite

Post by Stelph »

Watching the Olympic finals again, I may be wrong but I think the women’s bronze medalist lobnig was using the comp blade

And interestingly it looks like the m1x gold medalist from Greece was using fat2’s!
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

Stelph wrote:Watching the Olympic finals again, I may be wrong but I think the women’s bronze medalist lobnig was using the comp blade

And interestingly it looks like the m1x gold medalist from Greece was using fat2’s!
What's that saying about the horses not the chariot?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Study by Dr. Valery Kleshnev
Attachments
4727188B-2878-4C67-9B2E-B8DE6BE980EF.jpeg
4727188B-2878-4C67-9B2E-B8DE6BE980EF.jpeg (1.49 MiB) Viewed 291 times
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

Efficiency:
Comp 79.4%
Fat2 77.6%
Smoothie 77.4
making the Comp 3.4 sec. faster over 2k.

Questions:
Study was done with a men's 1x. I wonder what a study of developmental scullers would look like?
Seems an important factor might be ease of rowing with the blade.
Is there less wind resistance on square up adding to the System CM overall velocity noted?
Is there is a better blade and/or related rigging system yet to come out? Is this where the next equipment driven speed jump comes from?
Did I just waste money purchasing smoothies? :shock:
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
samtaylor
JV

Post by samtaylor »

The thing I keep noticing about all these studies is lines like "which could be explained by" and "it is still not clear which one is more important" then the conclusion drawn "x blade is faster then y over 2k by 3.9 seconds." And I keep thinking that if elite athletes trialed the comp blades and immediately gained a split over 500 we'd see them being adopted incredibly quickly...

I feel like there's a lot being missed in the blade/efficiency equation yet. Especially when we see a sculler using macons (so inefficient) winning U23 worlds.

But I'll keep reading the studies...
Sam