Old timer

Re: Men’s Collegiate Rowing Coaches Association

Post by rowing »

"I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I looked at the website. Kind of funny (or sad) that they remembered to check the box and include the" diversity, equity and inclusion" statement and include promoting youth rowing while completely omitting any reference to women's lightweight rowing.

Did they kick the ladies out of the regatta or choose just not to give them a voice?

My 2 cents, should have called it the NCAA men's rowing coaches association.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

crewu wrote:I looked at the website. Kind of funny (or sad) that they remembered to check the box and include the" diversity, equity and inclusion" statement and include promoting youth rowing while completely omitting any reference to women's lightweight rowing.

Did they kick the ladies out of the regatta or choose just not to give them a voice?

My 2 cents, should have called it the NCAA men's rowing coaches association.

I just got the feeling someone had too much time in quarantine playing cut and paste in Microsoft Word.
Magis12
Pre-Elite

Post by Magis12 »

I know people like to make mountains out of molehills...but isn’t this just the CRCA for men’s rowing? If anything it’s surprising that it didn’t already exist.
bz
Pre-Elite

Post by bz »

I think it is a pretty good comparison to say that the new IRCA is the CRCA for men's rowing. It is not the IRA Regatta coaches association. So I don't think it is noteworthy that they don't include lightweight women as part of their mission statement. The CRCA membership includes coaches who coach varsity lightweight women's teams and crews. The CRCA has a lightweight rowing committee. The CRCA helped to establish the nationwide protocols for lightweight women weigh-in procedures. I imagine members of the new IRCA will take into account the fact that lightweight women have events at the IRA regatta if and when their group looks at anything that might impact the current structure of the IRA Regatta.

Bill Zack
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

So it's like the ABA?

Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

rowing wrote:"I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."
Perhaps my favorite part of Annie Hall....
But what’s wrong with a little workers uniting?
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Cowbells123 wrote:
rowing wrote:"I don’t want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member."
Hmmm, I had Groucho Marx.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Must be so much easier for the men's rowing coaches association to give blanket statement support for gender identity without having to deal with the challenges associated with the issue.

It certainly puts the women's association in a corner on the subject. Would be interested in BZ's thoughts on this.
beagle
Elite

Post by beagle »

KitD wrote:
Cowbells123 wrote:
and i thought it was w. c. fields
FIVE MILES OUT
andpaddle
Varsity

Post by andpaddle »

My read of it was that it really doesn’t have anything to do with the IRA, despite the name. From the RowingNews post announcing it:

“The closest thing to a men’s collegiate coach’s association is the IRA coaches group,” Caldwell said. “But that only represents the schools that are part of the IRA, and among the colleges that sponsor men’s varsity rowing, only two-thirds of them are IRA members and the other third are not,” Caldwell said.

“So, you have a group that doesn’t have an organized voice at all. This provides an opportunity for the 51 IRA member schools and the 25 other schools that have men’s varsity rowing to have a unified voice on an area of concern to all of them,” he said.”
bz
Pre-Elite

Post by bz »

Gender identity and sports is a complicated topic. Far be it from me to attempt to tackle the topic in any forum. However, the NCAA has done a pretty thorough effort, at least as far as how gender identity is addressed by NCAA sports. There is a very educational document from the 2018 NCAA Inclusion Forum titled "Creating Positive & Inclusive Athletic Environments for Transgender Athletes".

https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... 180418.pdf

And there is a NCAA Inclusion of Transgender Student-Athletes Handbook. I can't seem to find a link to the second edition, but here is a link to the original 2011 version.

https://13248aea-16f8-fc0a-cf26-a9339dd ... e9486d.pdf

Keep in mind all this would be pertinent to varsity status women's rowing teams at NCAA member institutions and men's varsity status rowing teams at NCAA member institutions. So the CRCA and IRCA don't need to develop policies on their own.

Bill Zack
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

KitD wrote:
Cowbells123 wrote:
Yes I believe you are correct! He quotes Marx’s in the movie...
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

andpaddle wrote:My read of it was that it really doesn’t have anything to do with the IRA, despite the name. From the RowingNews post announcing it:

“The closest thing to a men’s collegiate coach’s association is the IRA coaches group,” Caldwell said. “But that only represents the schools that are part of the IRA, and among the colleges that sponsor men’s varsity rowing, only two-thirds of them are IRA members and the other third are not,” Caldwell said.

“So, you have a group that doesn’t have an organized voice at all. This provides an opportunity for the 51 IRA member schools and the 25 other schools that have men’s varsity rowing to have a unified voice on an area of concern to all of them,” he said.”
I don't see this as battle ready for the Great Awokening. If you have to alt.rowing justify yourself before the first meeting, you might be running out of time.

Sorry, just seems like a future of paying the dues and singing the blues.