2021 Season

Remomex
Old timer

Re: 2021 Season

Post by Remomex »

Why 20 crews? Is there a financial cut-off at 20, or is that just a number out of thin air? Given the (lack of) competitiveness of IRA at the top end, I don't see why you need 20 crews. It's basically a death sentence if no Ivies are racing. I suspect most travel restrictions will be dropped by the time of IRA, but not by decision time for 20 crews to declare (in two weeks). They didn't even have 20 crews in the early 2010s....

By my count you have BU, Syracuse, Wisco, UC Santa Clara, UW, Northeastern, Oregon State, UCSD, Cal, Stanford, FIT, Hobart, Navy, G Washington, Colgate, Drexel, Oklahoma City, Holy Cross, Temple, Gonzaga that have participated since 2012, so exactly 20. There may be some others that would race but didn't qualify in the past, but even then you're gonna be hard pressed to find 20 crews to make the trip.
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

Remomex wrote:Why 20 crews? Is there a financial cut-off at 20, or is that just a number out of thin air? Given the (lack of) competitiveness of IRA at the top end, I don't see why you need 20 crews. It's basically a death sentence if no Ivies are racing. I suspect most travel restrictions will be dropped by the time of IRA, but not by decision time for 20 crews to declare (in two weeks). They didn't even have 20 crews in the early 2010s....

By my count you have BU, Syracuse, Wisco, UC Santa Clara, UW, Northeastern, Oregon State, UCSD, Cal, Stanford, FIT, Hobart, Navy, G Washington, Colgate, Drexel, Oklahoma City, Holy Cross, Temple, Gonzaga that have participated since 2012, so exactly 20. There may be some others that would race but didn't qualify in the past, but even then you're gonna be hard pressed to find 20 crews to make the trip.
Santa Clara University....? There is no UC Santa Clara. There is a UCSC but it’s Santa Cruz and didn’t have competitive sports back in the day...it’s mascot is a banana slug :D
Magis12
Pre-Elite

Post by Magis12 »

Remomex wrote: By my count you have BU, Syracuse, Wisco, UC Santa Clara [editor's note: Santa Clara], UW, Northeastern, Oregon State, UCSD, Cal, Stanford, FIT, Hobart, Navy, G Washington, Colgate, Drexel, Oklahoma City, Holy Cross, Temple, Gonzaga that have participated since 2012, so exactly 20.
Where is the "exactly 20" coming from? You named 25 schools.

Also, I feel like this is missing some schools anyway. Has Georgetown not participated?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

“Sean, it’s come to my attention that your readers and commentators have questions about the IRA this year. There were 41 schools who declared for the Championship in 2019 for 24 slots. If you discard the eight Ivy League schools and MIT who have declared themselves out of the running that leaves 32 schools. 26 of them preregistered their intentions to compete this year, and there are another 7 NESCAC Schools of which possibly two may qualify if they have a NESCAC Championship.

By starting the championship with a time trial this year we have no limits on attendance and avoid the perils of seeding with less than optimal racing results. This solution was throughly vetting by the IRA Selection Committee.

Now we are at the time when coaches intentions need to be backed by institutional commitment. Twenty schools is a minimum threshold for us to balance the championship budget, given the increased costs associated with all things Covid. If we have more, that’s even better. The Stewards have provided an opportunity for the membership to have a championship at an affordable price. Now it’s up to the members to decide if they want to play.”

Gary Caldwell, Commissioner
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

Add in a few clubs to round it out...
"Speed Matters"
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

If that's a joke, it shouldn't be.

What better way to celebrate a return to rowing!

Just add a Visitors' Cup event. Truth in advertising.
eightsaresuperior
Pre-Elite

Post by eightsaresuperior »

SwissSculler wrote:Add in a few clubs to round it out...
here here
str8four
Veteran

Post by str8four »

lt.wolf wrote:26 of them preregistered their intentions to compete this year
That is good news. I am wondering if the regatta moves forward if they don't have 20 schools commit to bringing a V8 and other boats. If Stetson preregisters but only wants to bring a V4 come the end of May, does that count the same as UW who might bring a boat for every event? If the answer is yes, then they will definitely get 20 schools. If they need 20 V8's + other boats, it will be closer IMO. Here is my breakdown for who would show up with a V8 and other boats:

The Locks:
1. UW, 2. Cal, 3. Northeastern, 4. BU, 5. Navy, 6. Syracuse, 7. Wisco, 8. Georgetown

High Probability:
9. Oregon St., 10. Drexel, 11. Temple, 12. Holy Cross, 13. SJU, 14. Hobart, 15. FIT, 16. Marist

Lower Probability:
17 Stanford - think of themselves as an Ivy, long trip and expense for a program they just cut
18. GWU - shorter trip but why train with train through late May with no Sprints and being cut?
19. UCSD - long trip
20. USD - long trip
21. Colgate - don't view the program as consistent despite winning Vails recently
22. Santa Clara - long trip
23. Bates - likely no NESCAC championship in 2021 so they'd need special permission to attend, and for the AD why add to the training and expense this year?
24. Gonzaga - haven't gone to IRA in three years, long trip

Raced IRA since 2018 with at least a V4, but Unlikely to bring a V8 and other boats:
25. MSOE, 26. OKC, 27. Stetson, 28. Marietta, 29. Fairfield, 30 Jacksonville

My categories might be a little off due to COVID impacts. The bottom line is if they need 20 V8s plus other boats to commit, it will be close this year. They need to go 4 for 8 on the low probability schools and get all 16 listed above that - no small task, but possible.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Marietta will attend
andpaddle
Varsity

Post by andpaddle »

str8four wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:26 of them preregistered their intentions to compete this year
That is good news. I am wondering if the regatta moves forward if they don't have 20 schools commit to bringing a V8 and other boats. If Stetson preregisters but only wants to bring a V4 come the end of May, does that count the same as UW who might bring a boat for every event? If the answer is yes, then they will definitely get 20 schools. If they need 20 V8's + other boats, it will be closer IMO. Here is my breakdown for who would show up with a V8 and other boats:

The Locks:
1. UW, 2. Cal, 3. Northeastern, 4. BU, 5. Navy, 6. Syracuse, 7. Wisco, 8. Georgetown

High Probability:
9. Oregon St., 10. Drexel, 11. Temple, 12. Holy Cross, 13. SJU, 14. Hobart, 15. FIT, 16. Marist

Lower Probability:
17 Stanford - think of themselves as an Ivy, long trip and expense for a program they just cut
18. GWU - shorter trip but why train with train through late May with no Sprints and being cut?
19. UCSD - long trip
20. USD - long trip
21. Colgate - don't view the program as consistent despite winning Vails recently
22. Santa Clara - long trip
23. Bates - likely no NESCAC championship in 2021 so they'd need special permission to attend, and for the AD why add to the training and expense this year?
24. Gonzaga - haven't gone to IRA in three years, long trip

Raced IRA since 2018 with at least a V4, but Unlikely to bring a V8 and other boats:
25. MSOE, 26. OKC, 27. Stetson, 28. Marietta, 29. Fairfield, 30 Jacksonville

My categories might be a little off due to COVID impacts. The bottom line is if they need 20 V8s plus other boats to commit, it will be close this year. They need to go 4 for 8 on the low probability schools and get all 16 listed above that - no small task, but possible.
I wonder if they would consider racing any remaining light 8s with the heavy 8s - article says a lightweight decision hasn't been made. That might get you a few more V8s - Navy, Georgetown, Mercyhurst, Temple?
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Princeton is a maybe. Within the travel radius at least and they have some athletes on campus.
str8four
Veteran

Post by str8four »

lt.wolf wrote:Marietta will attend
Attend, or bring a V8 plus at least one other boat? What counts for the 20?

Princeton would be interesting but i can't think of a varsity program located within 40 miles of their campus to compete against in the spring. Drexel, Temple and SJU are 45 miles away, Columbia is 63. Rutgers is closest, but they are a club. So Princeton might just show up at IRA with no spring racing and train march through the end of May with only inter-squad racing?

Am I interpreting the Ivy rules correctly in that:
1. They can't race other Ivies this Spring
2. They can race local competition within 40 miles of campus (so Princeton can't invite Navy up for a dual)
3. They don't get 40 miles for each competitor - in other words it is 40 miles from Princeton to the Cooper River, and less than that for Temple to travel tp the Cooper. So Princeton could race Temple, Drexel, or SJU at the Cooper (but not Penn) - Yes or No?
The aim of an agrument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Does it matter that the IRA takes place after the end of the Ivy League spring academic calendar? I suspect this isn't a viable loophole, but...
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

You guys talk like the ivy policy was well considered and thought out and not just a bowl of spaghetti thrown against the wall to seem sympathetic to student athletes.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Slim wrote:You guys talk like the ivy policy was well considered and thought out and not just a bowl of spaghetti thrown against the wall to seem sympathetic to student athletes.
I lost what little respect I had for the Ivies after the last two spring season cancellations