Used 8+s?

Moderator: lt.wolf

KiwiCanuck
Elite

Used 8+s?

Post by KiwiCanuck »

Hi all,
We have six OLD Pocock shells (side-mount riggers, foam-core hulls) for the LTR program here. We use them for high-school LTR, summer LTR, and a big fund-raising LTR/corporate challenge program - well, we did until COVID-19 showed up.
I think they were originally acquired through some program called "first boat" - I have only been here for 2 years - and we're thinking of finding replacements. We can't buy new. We'd prefer to have boats that are as "same" as possible so if we get back to whatever normal is, there won't be a bias in the results based on which boat people row when the school and corporate races roll around.

Suggestions? I think our old fleet was "college novice" boats before they came to us - but - no history.
caustic
Old timer

Re: Used 8+s?

Post by caustic »

Sounds like you've got the C hull model of Pocock, which they actually still do make - so it's definitely possible to find newer used ones. IIRC, Pocock used to have a buy-back program, or I bet if you contact them they may be able to point you to some resellers of used shells. Finish Line Rowing is one reseller of used shells that I can think of off the top of my head, Rowable Classics might have some as well.
KiwiCanuck
Elite

Post by KiwiCanuck »

caustic wrote:Sounds like you've got the C hull model of Pocock, which they actually still do make - so it's definitely possible to find newer used ones. IIRC, Pocock used to have a buy-back program, or I bet if you contact them they may be able to point you to some resellers of used shells. Finish Line Rowing is one reseller of used shells that I can think of off the top of my head, Rowable Classics might have some as well.
Thanks for the pointers. Will keep in mind for the future. Yes, they're C-hulls and they're old and heavy now.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

KiwiCanuck wrote:Hi all,
We have six OLD Pocock shells (side-mount riggers, foam-core hulls) for the LTR program here. We use them for high-school LTR, summer LTR, and a big fund-raising LTR/corporate challenge program - well, we did until COVID-19 showed up.
I think they were originally acquired through some program called "first boat" - I have only been here for 2 years - and we're thinking of finding replacements. We can't buy new. We'd prefer to have boats that are as "same" as possible so if we get back to whatever normal is, there won't be a bias in the results based on which boat people row when the school and corporate races roll around.

Suggestions? I think our old fleet was "college novice" boats before they came to us - but - no history.
I don't think you're going to get much for those boats. In fact it's a world turned upside down. Demand is such that sIngles in good shape are now worth more than eights of the same vintage. Some old 1x's have not lost value.
From Row2k:
'05 Kaschper NX 1x used 5 times. $4200
'97 Hud 1x, "immaculate: $5900
'07 Hud Hvt w/ sculls $4500
'03 Cucchetti, $4500
90's?? Van Duzen, restorable, $3000
'12 Filippi 1x $8000
'09 Resolute 8+"good shape" $6000
'13 Resolute, 8+ "refinished" $10,000
'11 Filippi 8+ unused for 5 years, $9,000
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
KiwiCanuck
Elite

Post by KiwiCanuck »

JD wrote:
KiwiCanuck wrote:Hi all,

I don't think you're going to get much for those boats. In fact it's a world turned upside down. Demand is such that sIngles in good shape are now worth more than eights of the same vintage. Some old 1x's have not lost value.
From Row2k:
'05 Kaschper NX 1x used 5 times. $4200
'97 Hud 1x, "immaculate: $5900
'07 Hud Hvt w/ sculls $4500
'03 Cucchetti, $4500
90's?? Van Duzen, restorable, $3000
'12 Filippi 1x $8000
'09 Resolute 8+"good shape" $6000
'13 Resolute, 8+ "refinished" $10,000
'11 Filippi 8+ unused for 5 years, $9,000
We're not interested in selling them. the purpose of my inquiry was about replacing the old eights with some that are newer. Now, however, the club may not be going that way but it's good to have possible solutions if it comes up.
rowingrick
Novice

Post by rowingrick »

Our school district has limited financial resources. For us 15 to 20 year old Vespoli M2 D hull fours and eights are solid boats and are still competitive. The fours can be found for as low as $2,500 and the eights for $4,000. Usually additional expenditures will need to be made to upgrade the shoes, tracks, seat wheels, backstays, and oarlocks. Rigger heights need to be checked too. Sometime there is a slight bend in the main plate that bolts to the hull. Correcting it is quite easy. Over the past four years we have replaced a mishmash of sweep boats with five Vespolis. Two more to go. For doubles and quads we've been picking up older Filippis when we can. Our singles are most Julians we got for free along with a couple of Peinerts bought on the cheap.