Coaching Carousel 2021

fullmetal
Old timer

Re: Coaching Carousel 2021

Post by fullmetal »

Is there a reason that someone with Manning's resume isn't landing a desirable head coaching position?
porsche5k
Veteran

Post by porsche5k »

Rocket-Sauce wrote:Bill Manning now Associate Head Coach at Lasalle.
Maybe Bill just doesn't want to be a head coach but it seems insane that he hasn't landed a HC position.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

porsche5k wrote:
Rocket-Sauce wrote:Bill Manning now Associate Head Coach at Lasalle.
Maybe Bill just doesn't want to be a head coach but it seems insane that he hasn't landed a HC position.
I think it is the opposite and we have seen other programs work this way. Paul Buggenhagen is HC for Rowing, but ultimately will oversee the men, and Stangel the Women. Drexel does the same. I would given Garbutt's history he will run the women at Lasalle and Manning the men. I think for Bill to go from first assistant at a top 10 NCAA program to HC at a multiple time D finalist at the Dad Vail, it means he wants to be a HC again very badly. It seems like a weird jump to make for the sake of being a HC again unless the program has gained a ton more support from the University in terms of admissions, scholarships, and budget. I know they cut 7 sports during the pandemic, so maybe the consolidation of spending helped make it attactive?

Rowing is a small incestuous community. Hires and opinions are made many times based on friendships often. A lot of coaches think "Oh, I think I am a good coach, and so-and-so is my friend, so they must be a good coach too". It works the other way with people they do not like. I think largely people don't really like or trust Bill Manning based on some things he has done and how he has behaved in the past. I don't know Bill well enough to comment one way or the other. But that is the vibe I get from talking to people.
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

Gennaro promoted to Assoc Head Coach
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

fullmetal wrote:Is there a reason that someone with Manning's resume isn't landing a desirable head coaching position?
It can’t be his penmanship as it’s impeccable!
bz
Pre-Elite

Post by bz »

I suppose that internet message boards cater to random speculation. I think the subtle, and not so subtle, digs about Bill Manning are uncalled for. His family life is in Philadelphia. Now, instead of commuting to Princeton, he lives ten minutes from the boathouse. Let's all wish him the best in his new endeavor.

Bill Zack
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

bz wrote:I suppose that internet message boards cater to random speculation. I think the subtle, and not so subtle, digs about Bill Manning are uncalled for. His family life is in Philadelphia. Now, instead of commuting to Princeton, he lives ten minutes from the boathouse. Let's all wish him the best in his new endeavor.

Bill Zack
I'm with BZ on this.

Harvard is an employment shithole that has done wrong by so many good coaches over the last 15 years. There's a reason the program struggles now. They deserve it.

Bill and all the other castaways from the Crimson Permanent Assurance have done well in their subsequent other settings, but there's always this whisper denigration from their Big H separation.

Let's not assume everyone is jumping toward an ultimate head coach position at a top six school. Sometimes, a challenge with less resources is more fulfilling.
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

+1
"Speed Matters"
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

rowing wrote:I'm with BZ on this.

Harvard is an employment shithole that has done wrong by so many good coaches over the last 15 years. There's a reason the program struggles now. They deserve it.

Bill and all the other castaways from the Crimson Permanent Assurance have done well in their subsequent other settings, but there's always this whisper denigration from their Big H separation.

Let's not assume everyone is jumping toward an ultimate head coach position at a top six school. Sometimes, a challenge with less resources is more fulfilling.
who are you and what have you done with the real rowing

But I also agree; my comment was just more out of respect for what Manning has accomplished.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

fullmetal wrote:
rowing wrote:I'm with BZ on this.

who are you and what have you done with the real rowing

But I also agree; my comment was just more out of respect for what Manning has accomplished.
And what better place to benefit from that resume than a La Salle?

Clone Manning and send him to help out at VT, UGA, Rollins, Liberty, Union, Rutgers Camden, wherever willing programs of any status are in need of some expert assistance. Imagine Manning as a coach's coach.

Wherever Manning lands, that place is lucky.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Nate Goodman to GW.
Magis12
Pre-Elite

Post by Magis12 »

Cory Conzemius to Oklahoma City University
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Bart Thompson to Univerisity of San Diego Men

Sam Pratt to now coach men and women at Adrian
asdad123
Pre-Elite

Post by asdad123 »

Seems like Bart did a pretty good job establishing Adrian.
1send
Novice

Post by 1send »

Last edited by 1send on Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.