2021 Season

Slim
Old timer

Re: 2021 Season

Post by Slim »

Texas has always been good at attracting impactful transfers.
Prettyinfiveseat
Pre-Elite

Post by Prettyinfiveseat »

Slim wrote:Texas has always been good at attracting impactful transfers.
Also didn’t hurt that O’Neill got full support of Texas to run his program with a nice budget. That helps with recruiting the best of the best. Didn’t take him long to get Texas and Big 12 a championship.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

On a side note, that was the most double buckets I’ve ever seen at a regatta.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Slim wrote:Texas has always been good at attracting impactful transfers.
Seems like this is a huge part of the game now. I wonder how many transfers (grad and undergrad) Texas has on its roster relative to the programs that finished 7 - 12.

Really tough to get a transfer into most of the Ivies.

No redshirting in rowing necessary right? Transfer and row right away unless you want to save a year of eligibility and just train.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

fullmetal wrote:How many women's team coaches have won championships with two different schools? Yaz did it, and Dave did it today. Anyone else? (On the men's side, I can only think of Gladstone.)
If you include the Stanford lightweight women, didn't Al Acosta do it?
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Hopscotching between programs already in the top ten isn't noteworthy. Leaving one to raise an unranked to national glory is.
sul
Old timer

Post by sul »

rowing wrote:Hopscotching between programs already in the top ten isn't noteworthy. Leaving one to raise an unranked to national glory is.
More income, cheaper living costs, bigger budget, lower academic recruiting standards, closer boathouse. there's unranked then there's "unranked".
bz
Pre-Elite

Post by bz »

No redshirting in rowing necessary right?
Rowing has always had the one time transfer exception, meaning you can transfer from one NCAA school to another and compete immediately. The school from which the athlete transferred had the opportunity to block that, forcing an academic year in residence (redshirt). That option was rarely, if ever, exercised. Recently the NCAA passed legislation to open up the one time transfer exception to all sports, at the same time getting rid of the option to force the one year delay in competing. Graduate transfer rules are equally permissive. In the same vein, virtually all athletic conferences have removed their restrictions on intraconference transfers. There are plenty of NCAA rowing coaches who have alerts set to notify them when a new rower enters the transfer portal. With the new rule, some men's basketball coaches are claiming that they will no longer recruit high school athletes, instead relying 100% on the transfer market.

Bill Zack
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

sul wrote:
rowing wrote:Hopscotching between programs already in the top ten isn't noteworthy. Leaving one to raise an unranked to national glory is.
More income, cheaper living costs, bigger budget, lower academic recruiting standards, closer boathouse. there's unranked then there's "unranked".
Oh my, is the California Republic complaining that fewer obstacles in other jurisdictions is unfair????

We shall light a candle for our oppressed comrades! Solidarity!!!
sul
Old timer

Post by sul »

rowing wrote:
sul wrote:
Oh my, is the California Republic complaining that fewer obstacles in other jurisdictions is unfair????

Dave's a great coach and nobody here on the boards thought he was taking a step down. You'd have
noticed it if you weren't so busy cleaning your lipstick off your selfies.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

“ . You'd have
noticed it if you weren't so busy cleaning your lipstick off your selfies.”

I had to ask my wife what that statement meant ….
asdad123
Pre-Elite

Post by asdad123 »

sul wrote:
rowing wrote:
sul wrote:

Dave's a great coach and nobody here on the boards thought he was taking a step down. You'd have
noticed it if you weren't so busy cleaning your lipstick off your selfies.
Dave himself said California would always have some limitations
JT and Ben
Pre-Elite

Post by JT and Ben »

I was really impressed by SMU's performance at the regatta. they finished 11th beating 6 at large squads. I went back and looked at some past team results ever since they adopted the AQ, and the best finish I could see from an AQ program from one of the weaker conferences was 15th in 2015 when USD beat one at-large program. Kim Cupini coached both of those teams. I guess it's safe to say she knows what she's doing.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

This is Coach Cupini's fourth year at SMU, so it's nice to see her efforts paying off (with all current athletes being recruited under her watch). I see that she's also gotten a few graduate students on roster, very nice. The knock is probably a question of whether a grad transfer rower can row in a program's style...but maybe Texas and SMU are on their way to dispelling those fears.
asdad123
Pre-Elite

Post by asdad123 »

JT and Ben wrote:I was really impressed by SMU's performance at the regatta. they finished 11th beating 6 at large squads. I went back and looked at some past team results ever since they adopted the AQ, and the best finish I could see from an AQ program from one of the weaker conferences was 15th in 2015 when USD beat one at-large program. Kim Cupini coached both of those teams. I guess it's safe to say she knows what she's doing.
Yeah, sometimes its hard to separate a coach from results because you don't always have an idea of the other variables, but her leading 2 schools to really strong results is a pretty good reflection.

I also think the same can be said for Yaz and O'Neill. I don't care if you acquire a team with a ton of potential or one in the top 10 already, to unlock the potential and elevate an already good team is impressive.