Veteran

Re: WEEK 6 RACING AND PICKS

Post by str8four »

NU > Brown
Cornell > HOB > Mar
TRI > WIL > BAT > TUF
DAR > HC

Da Vails:
TEM > GWU > DEL > COLG > DRX > SJU (But that first heat could be dangerous for Temple as no one knows what speed G-Town or Delaware have).
The aim of an agrument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert
asdad123
Pre-Elite

Post by asdad123 »

Dad vail live stream already disappointing: https://livestream.com/accounts/22144883/events/9658988

For the heats seems to be just a finish line camera. Hopefully something better for finals.
gamestop
Elite

Post by gamestop »

asdad123 wrote:Dad vail live stream already disappointing: https://livestream.com/accounts/22144883/events/9658988

For the heats seems to be just a finish line camera. Hopefully something better for finals.
They have at least three cameras, one around 1k, one by the island, one at the finish line. They haven't been switching between them strategically much though.
asdad123
Pre-Elite

Post by asdad123 »

gamestop wrote:
asdad123 wrote:Dad vail live stream already disappointing: https://livestream.com/accounts/22144883/events/9658988

They have at least three cameras, one around 1k, one by the island, one at the finish line. They haven't been switching between them strategically much though.
Yeah I see them switching now. Maybe just some early technical difficulties
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Hopefully all this video will showcase some little niggles too - like upgrading the buoy lines to a color (fresh paint?) that stands out better against the water!

Dad Vail schedule:

http://results.regattatiming.com/backof ... raceId=528

Finals start with the adaptive events @ 11:40 am (PR3, PR2, PR1) conclude with the men's 8+ @ 4:50 pm & wommen's 8+ @ 5:00 pm
Rocket-Sauce
Pre-Elite

Post by Rocket-Sauce »

Recipient of 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year
Portside
Varsity

Post by Portside »

Announcers haven’t figured out parallax distortion yet. Still switching leaders as their view changes. Recent high school events had much better video coverage.
Understand there have been floating starts. Let’s hope no one loses a big race by a few feet.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Portside wrote:Announcers haven’t figured out parallax distortion yet. Still switching leaders as their view changes. Recent high school events had much better video coverage.
Understand there have been floating starts. Let’s hope no one loses a big race by a few feet.

they didn’t get the starting platforms up yesterday? if not, an interesting decision.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

looks like they are installing them now for the finals. :?:
772BCFDF-FF35-44A2-BAD7-E8B3FF7627ED.png
772BCFDF-FF35-44A2-BAD7-E8B3FF7627ED.png (1.29 MiB) Viewed 1263 times
Portside
Varsity

Post by Portside »

Well, stake boats are there. Not installed in a straight line, and unmanned. What’s the point ? Still hoping no one wins or loses by a few feet.
str8four
Veteran

Post by str8four »

I watched the heats this morning and was surprised and impressed that Stetson made the grand final over Georgetown and Delaware. Just goes to show that practice and racing experience matters on a season.

The other thing I saw was Drexel tank to get lane 5 in the final. With a floating start and slight headwind Lane 5 is better than lane 2 on the Schuylkill this afternoon. My guess is that the three Philly schools in Lanes 3, 4, and 5 take the medals. I still wonder if the Lanes will help Drexel beat Temple, who is in Lane 3 and on the other side of the arch for the bridge.
The aim of an agrument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

str8four wrote:I watched the heats this morning and was surprised and impressed that Stetson made the grand final over Georgetown and Delaware. Just goes to show that practice and racing experience matters on a season.

The other thing I saw was Drexel tank to get lane 5 in the final. With a floating start and slight headwind Lane 5 is better than lane 2 on the Schuylkill this afternoon. My guess is that the three Philly schools in Lanes 3, 4, and 5 take the medals. I still wonder if the Lanes will help Drexel beat Temple, who is in Lane 3 and on the other side of the arch for the bridge.
Delaware topped the M8+ B final from "dreaded" lane 6
Lane 5 had Drexel finish 3rd in the M8+ final with GW taking 2nd from lane 1 & Temple winning from lane 3

all told, lanes 3 & 4 looked to hold the most 1/2's all afternoon - kind of what you would expect from the heats, no?

http://results.regattatiming.com/backof ... raceId=528
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

I think that makes 3 races in a row where temple has beat drexel by roughly the same margin?

IMO stetson making the GF isn't surprising. They have topped FIT in recent years. Hope they can keep the momentum.
andpaddle
Varsity

Post by andpaddle »

Amazingly, that’s Temple’s first men’s point trophy at Dad Vail, pretty cool (albeit without some of the usual contenders - Michigan, a full Delaware squad, etc). Could potentially make a run at the IRA B final?
Rocket-Sauce
Pre-Elite

Post by Rocket-Sauce »

Portside wrote:Well, stake boats are there. Not installed in a straight line, and unmanned. What’s the point ? Still hoping no one wins or loses by a few feet.
Cow whatever it is worth, a last minute email was sent out to all coaches asking for stake boat volunteers implying there were under staffed
Recipient of 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year