Upcoming Switch the Age Group

Moderators: lt.wolf, bendtheoar

hexnine
Varsity

Upcoming Switch the Age Group

Post by hexnine »

With the rumored switch to age group racing on the horizon in junior rowing, here in the US ... does anyone have any insight into USRowing's plans to implement this in 2022? Is this decision up to ... Rawson? Chase? A larger group within USRowing?

The assumed categories are going to be Youth(U19 plus the fall birthday seniors), U17 and U15.

In our region, the stewards have been trying to work through various proposed event lists for our regional championship. Obviously the Youth and U17 categories will be aligned with what the National Championship regatta offers. What about younger athletes (at the regional levels)? I don't know if USRowing plans to bring back the U15 division at the national level or not.

The current proposals from our stewards are potentially adding U16 racing (likely the 8+, 4+, and 4x+), and the other proposals include freshman events at the regional level. I have been a coach with the younger side of junior racing for quite some time now, and the differences between a U17, U16 and U15 aged athlete is considerable (I'm talking groups of athletes, not comparing individuals). U15 events will have older 7th graders and younger 8th graders racing each other, and U17 athletes will be younger sophomores and older freshmen. Having a U16 category will create a progression in racing that parallels the developmental growth in this group of athletes. Having smaller age divisions for the younger athletes better serves those that are still growing and maturing. The inclusion of the U16 category should create a smoother progression in athlete development and more positive racing experiences by reducing the disparities caused by larger differences of age in younger junior rowers.

I am all for making the switch to age group racing and doing away with novice rowing. Basing events on the length of experience is great in theory, but it leads to 14 year-olds racing against 18 year-olds. It doesn't take much to realize that the physiological differences between a fully developed senior and those of a young freshman still going through puberty will nullify the good intentions of the novice category. Plus, with the likely elimination of lightweight rowing, age group racing with the inclusion of U16 should create a more progressive structure to junior rowing that supports still-growing athletes.

With the season approaching and teams needing to setup their coaching structures for the year, a decision being announced about age group racing would be advantageous for everyone if it came soon. I know that things have been a mess in this country, it's been an Olympic year, and U19 Worlds just wrapped up, but does anyone know anything about USRowing's plans or timeline for said plans? With the opportunity to restructure the sport at this level, I hope there will be some discussion about a shift that could potentially lead to better athlete development and experiences. I am open to criticism of the above and hearing differing viewpoints.
I don't care about being great - I care about helping others become great.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Re: Upcoming Switch the Age Group

Post by lt.wolf »

It’s is done https://usrowing.org/sports/2021/9/8/us ... ement.aspx

It’s a dying breed, between the Olympics and NGBs they are shoveling onto the grave.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

gamestop
Elite

Post by gamestop »

So they've reintroduced the incentive for coxswains to cut weight. Solve one problem by reintroducing another.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

gamestop wrote:So they've reintroduced the incentive for coxswains to cut weight. Solve one problem by reintroducing another.
Maybe they are planning for a future with no coxswains....

Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

lt.wolf wrote:It’s is done https://usrowing.org/sports/2021/9/8/us ... ement.aspx

It’s a dying breed, between the Olympics and NGBs they are shoveling onto the grave.
How do you suppose this affects collegiate LTWT rowing? Besides limiting the recruiting pool….
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

rowing wrote:
gamestop wrote:So they've reintroduced the incentive for coxswains to cut weight. Solve one problem by reintroducing another.

Or be prepared for six-year olds that weigh 50 pounds .. "just shut up and steer"
rowingpun
Elite

Post by rowingpun »

Welp, there goes our lightweights' dynastic success at the international level.
rowingpun
Elite

Post by rowingpun »

Cowbells123 wrote:How do you suppose this affects collegiate LTWT rowing? Besides limiting the recruiting pool….
I suspect absolutely no change. With maybe a handful of exceptions if you are college lightweight material you should be on your 1V at your club/HS. And if you're quitting my team because you went from the light 8 to the 2V the team is better off and no college coach should want you anyway.
Tiger10
JV

Post by Tiger10 »

rowingpun wrote:
Cowbells123 wrote:How do you suppose this affects collegiate LTWT rowing? Besides limiting the recruiting pool….
I suspect absolutely no change. With maybe a handful of exceptions if you are college lightweight material you should be on your 1V at your club/HS. And if you're quitting my team because you went from the light 8 to the 2V the team is better off and no college coach should want you anyway.
Such a true statement. If we were designing this sport from scratch, we would never build in lightweights or junior lightweights? IIRC, 2004 Gold Medalist Jason Read's first gig in rowing was as a 6th-grade coxswain on the varsity 4+.

Let's keep simplifying American rowing so we can continue to be on the Olympic programme and keep pace with the rest of the world.
Last edited by Tiger10 on Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

How will US Rowing prevent the lying of ages ?
gamestop
Elite

Post by gamestop »

oldman wrote:
rowing wrote:

Or be prepared for six-year olds that weigh 50 pounds .. "just shut up and steer"
This. I would like to believe the bulk of programs would not suddenly revert to some version of this, but you know there will be coaches that do it. And there will be coxswains who decide to cut weight themselves despite their coaches telling them its not necessary.

Has USRowing not heard the expression 'throwing the baby out with the bathwater'?
hexnine
Varsity

Post by hexnine »

lt.wolf wrote:How will US Rowing prevent the lying of ages ?
I have been curious about this. Some teams always seemed to have loose interpretations of what a novice is. What’s to prevent coaches from copying the practice of certain Little League World Series teams that have bearded “12 year-olds?” I can’t fathom being proud of success found through cheating.
hexnine
Varsity

Post by hexnine »

Our region just voted to go with Youth, U17, U16, and U15 categories for racing by a very wide margin. I think we’re likely to stick with no blind boats below the U17 level. Rawson and Chase were on the Zoom meeting.

With the coxswain weigh-in elimination, I don’t think we’re likely to find crews going with incredibly young coxswains. Probably some cases here and there, but I can’t see good programs sacrificing talent and maturity for less weight in the boat, to the tune of more than 20-30 pounds. Maybe I’m wrong … and in that event, I guess I’ll start searching for high school-aged double amputees.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

hexnine wrote:Our region just voted to go with Youth, U17, U16, and U15 categories for racing by a very wide margin. I think we’re likely to stick with no blind boats below the U17 level. Rawson and Chase were on the Zoom meeting.

With the coxswain weigh-in elimination, I don’t think we’re likely to find crews going with incredibly young coxswains. Probably some cases here and there, but I can’t see good programs sacrificing talent and maturity for less weight in the boat, to the tune of more than 20-30 pounds. Maybe I’m wrong … and in that event, I guess I’ll start searching for high school-aged double amputees.
From what I've heard, the age group initiative is in line with what USRowing is planning. Even a coxed quad may be on the table. at least for U17.

As for coxswains, the NCAA coaches have had some informal discussions about whether to raise their cox'n weight to 120.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus