Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Another abuse accusation

Post by Cowbells123 »

Sarge
Elite

Re: Another abuse accusation

Post by Sarge »

On Aug. 24, Shipley was arrested at his home by D.C. police.

The charges: first- and second-degree sexual abuse of two former Whitman rowers.

seems like more than the thread title indicates. Another Predator might be more appropriate
Almostflipped
Old timer

Post by Almostflipped »

The indictment, i believe that what it’s called, is a matter of public record. Based on the prosecutorial description and evidence, predator barely scratches the surface.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Absolutely disgusting.
Sarge
Elite

Post by Sarge »

Agree on all counts. Prison awaits with all of the fixins
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

Yes he is disgusting and the fact that parents may have turned a blind eye even worse. Where was oversight by the school?
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

Cowbells123 wrote:... Where was oversight by the school?
...out for drinks with US Gymnastics? :roll:
PBR
Novice

Post by PBR »

News of his arrest was posted in the Junior Women section back in August. Our sport is at least as rife with predators and bullies as the rest of the world. Rowing is not special in this regard. Awareness combined with non-acceptance of these behaviors is critical. Kirk Shipley is not a one-off. For another recent example, look at Mission Rowing. And there are more. These things have been much more swept under the rug than we know. “Don’t want to damage the poor guy’s reputation.” Let him go, don’t tell people why, let him get another job where he can simply continue his predatory behavior… Bully coaches are similar.

Pulling a quote from that article:

“That was their battle cry, if you will,” McLaughlin said. “It got to the point where I asked, ‘Is that the standard? Do you have to have sexual misconduct in order to lose your job? And it doesn’t matter what else you do?' ”
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

PBR wrote:News of his arrest was posted in the Junior Women section back in August. Our sport is at least as rife with predators and bullies as the rest of the world. Rowing is not special in this regard. Awareness combined with non-acceptance of these behaviors is critical. Kirk Shipley is not a one-off. For another recent example, look at Mission Rowing. And there are more. These things have been much more swept under the rug than we know. “Don’t want to damage the poor guy’s reputation…(snip) ”
Yup I know of at least two. One guy is dead (natural causes) the other out of coaching.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
Sarge
Elite

Post by Sarge »

It makes sense to me that parents are safe sport trained so they can spot behaviors before they manifest in crimes. This criminal was way too close and was grooming from day 1.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

The intersection of this topic with certain grumble '08ers is tantalizing.

Oops, I've said too much.
PBR
Novice

Post by PBR »

rowing wrote:The intersection of this topic with certain grumble '08ers is tantalizing.

Kids finally speaking out and effecting change regarding a guy who’s been spending 20 years ingratiating himself into a school sports setting, grooming families and their children, emotionally and sexually abusing high school girls is like like grumbling olympians how? In that they’re both wanting to be treated with respect? Talk about your perception here. I’m very intrigued. Personally, I find your callousness and lack of sensitivity on “this topic” to be remarkably disturbing.
fatherrowsbest
Varsity

Post by fatherrowsbest »

PBR wrote:
rowing wrote:The intersection of this topic with certain grumble '08ers is tantalizing.

Kids finally speaking out and effecting change regarding a guy who’s been spending 20 years ingratiating himself into a school sports setting, grooming families and their children, emotionally and sexually abusing high school girls is like like grumbling olympians how? In that they’re both wanting to be treated with respect? Talk about your perception here. I’m very intrigued. Personally, I find your callousness and lack of sensitivity on “this topic” to be remarkably disturbing.
PBR that’s rowing doing what he/she does best. ;)
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

PBR wrote:

You are missing the trees for the forest. Those who know....
Rocket-Sauce
Pre-Elite

Post by Rocket-Sauce »

This is such terrible sad news. But it has nothing to do with women's college rowing -other than some of the athletes will row in college.
Recipient of 2006 Time Magazine Man of the Year