2022 Season

Prettyinfiveseat
Pre-Elite

Re: 2022 Season

Post by Prettyinfiveseat »

lt.wolf wrote:Excuse me, sorry to interrupt

Does anyone have the link to the racing? Thank you

Thank you and like I said let’s get back to racing.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Slim wrote:Biggest challenge for women's rowing is the size of the championship - it's the only sport where half the roster is cut right before the championship.
Are the rosters really cut from an official paperwork filing, is that just dressing for the game kind of language?
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

fullmetal wrote:Day 1:
D1 AM: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4216 (9AM ET)
D1 PM: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4217 (4:10PM ET)
D2 AM: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4218 (11:20 ET)
D2 PM: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4219 (5:20PM ET)
D3 AM: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4220 (8:10AM ET)
D3 PM: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4221 (3:45PM ET)

Day 2:
D1: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4222 (8:10AM ET)
D2: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4223 (11AM ET)
D3: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4224 (10:30AM ET)

Day 3:
D1: https://www.ncaa.com/event/4225 (8:10AM ET)
Right. Grow the sport as long as it is Division 1.
jrd
Varsity

Post by jrd »

Slim wrote:In case anyone was wondering, middle aged men are the experts on what does and doesn't inspire High School girls.

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=91695 ... ef=sharing
Post of the year. Slim cut through the bullish!t like few have.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

rowing wrote:
Slim wrote:Biggest challenge for women's rowing is the size of the championship - it's the only sport where half the roster is cut right before the championship.
Are the rosters really cut from an official paperwork filing, is that just dressing for the game kind of language?
They’re done, not cut. What other sport has only half the roster travel and compete at their national championship?

Carrying 50 athletes and racing 23 leaves a lot of potentially disgruntled kids on shore after your conference championship. No other equivalency sport has a championship roster essentially the same size as the # of full rides - most sit right around 50%. Applying that to rowing and you’d have a championship with 40-46 athletes.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

Slim wrote:
rowing wrote:
They’re done, not cut. What other sport has only half the roster travel and compete at their national championship?

Carrying 50 athletes and racing 23 leaves a lot of potentially disgruntled kids on shore after your conference championship. No other equivalency sport has a championship roster essentially the same size as the # of full rides - most sit right around 50%. Applying that to rowing and you’d have a championship with 40-46 athletes.
The biggest of all the NCAA sports doesn't even dress all of their scholarship athletes for every game, let alone the national championship. 85 Scholarships. 105 Roster cap. I am seeing reports of both 105 and 125 so I assume it is in season vs. off season? The SEC only allows 60 to dress for conference games. Big 10 70. The NCAA 82. Still less than all scholarship athletes, and depending on conference/time on the calendar it is half the roster.

Basketball basically breaks even. 13 scholarships. 13 can dress. 20 person max roster in the "offseason" 15 "in season".

I am not endorsing the idea that womens rowing start cutting rosters in season or anything. But for 90% of the school year it is a really inclusive sport. Close to the entire roster is racing at every race all season long.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

What the hell happened to the ACC over the years?

It feels like the conference championships were always a blast because there was a lot of depth in B-Final NCAA schools competing. Clemson has been circling the drain for some time. ND got last. Louisville looked promising for a minute a few years ago and have now disappeared. Syracuse is the best of the rest, but two seconds behind a UVA crew that got last in their heat.

I am happy to see parity in the sport, I think it is good. But it is wild that an entire conference has just sort of fallen so far.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

How many of those other sports take walk ons with no experience?
gamestop
Elite

Post by gamestop »

Mango wrote:What the hell happened to the ACC over the years?

It feels like the conference championships were always a blast because there was a lot of depth in B-Final NCAA schools competing. Clemson has been circling the drain for some time. ND got last. Louisville looked promising for a minute a few years ago and have now disappeared. Syracuse is the best of the rest, but two seconds behind a UVA crew that got last in their heat.

I am happy to see parity in the sport, I think it is good. But it is wild that an entire conference has just sort of fallen so far.
I don’t disagree but on the flip side, the Ivies are showing a bit of a resurgence, good for them, so could just be more crowded.

I am surprised to see Duke and Cuse taking a step back (if they are indeed, I’m not sure, just feels like they were climbing the last few years).
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

gamestop wrote:
Mango wrote:What the hell happened to the ACC over the years?

I don’t disagree but on the flip side, the Ivies are showing a bit of a resurgence, good for them, so could just be more crowded.

I am surprised to see Duke and Cuse taking a step back (if they are indeed, I’m not sure, just feels like they were climbing the last few years).
Duke and others lay it all out during the season, just to get to NCAA's. When they get there, they may be toast. Others (Stanford, Texas, etc.) are certain they will make it and are developing speed all spring long. One good program that stayed home had a compromised athlete in their stern 3 each of their last two races: a personal tragedy one race and severe illness the next. They may have been fast enough to deserve a bid, but lackluster performances doomed them. Had that happened to Duke, they may have stayed home. If you're a bubble crew, you need to build a resume.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Was it really that long ago that even one at-large from the ACC was spurious?
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

The Ivies didn't compete last year, so they could have just trained hard and heavy through the spring (with a minor wind-up for those who were invited to the NCAA regatta last year). Clemson returned to "normal" this year imo. They weren't last in the ACCs. That's the best I can say about that, and I hope they continue improving. SMU over Virginia in the 1V shouldn't surprise anyone (that went according to seeding!) -- the Mustangs beat the Cavs by 6.5 seconds in late April at the Longhorn Invite and were within about 0.088 sec of beating Ohio State's 1V. In today's heat, SMU beat Virginia by 8.132 sec. The Cavs did not finish last in their heat, as Northeastern and Rhode Island finished behind them, albeit by 14 and 34 sec margins, respectively.

In the 1V, the selectors seeded almost everything right -- in heat 2, #10 Cal upset #7 Michigan by 5.6 sec to take the second advancing place behind Princeton.

In the 2V heat 1, #9 SMU upset #8 Michigan by 0.881 sec, taking the second advancing place behind Texas and sending Michigan to the reps (ow). #17 USC also beat #16 Oregon St. by less than two seconds, also a one place reversal of seed, but in the last two places, so inconsequential for advancement. In heat 3 of the 2V, #11 Virginia upset #6 Penn by 0.103 sec to take the second advancing place behind Washington. Heat 4 of the 2V had #13 Princeton landing haymakers on #5 Brown (8.083 sec) and #12 Syracuse (14.25 sec) to take the second advancing place behind Stanford.

In the V4 heat 1, #9 Yale upset #8 USC by 3.28 sec to lock up the second advancing spot behind Texas. Oof, sorry Trojans, your highest-seeded boat gets the reps too. In heat 3 of the V4, #22 Jacksonville upset #19 BU by 11.618 sec, but both finished in the last two places of their heat (a sandbag of sorts?). In heat 4 of the V4, #5 Washington upset #4 Ohio State by 6.358 sec (both advanced--another sandbag?), and #13 SMU beat #12 Duke by 12.762 sec for third and fourth places, respectively.

Looking ahead to the reps:

1V rep 1: Oregon St. and Penn are seeded to advance ahead of Virginia, which would have been unthinkable a few years ago, but here we are. The Cavs have their chance this afternoon.
1V rep 2: Michigan and SMU are seeded to advance. Syracuse and Rutgers will try to challenge. I might actually pick SMU to upset Michigan in the reps if SMU gives it full gas (SMU was only 0.088 sec behind Ohio State at the Longhorn Invite).

2V rep 1: Penn and Michigan should advance according to seed. Syracuse, Rutgers, and Oregon State may challenge.
2V rep 2: Brown and Ohio State should safely advance according to seed. Duke and USC may challenge.

V4 rep 1: USC and Virginia should advance. Duke and Oregon State will try but lost to their respective faster conference foes two weeks ago.
V4 rep 2: SMU and Cal should advance. Rutgers and Syracuse may challenge.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Mango wrote:for 90% of the school year it is a really inclusive sport. Close to the entire roster is racing at every race all season long.

This is the most cogent defense of WHY women's rowing is actually the ideal sport for the NCAA to have on board.

Then the money thing ruins it all. If the football balance thing ever goes away----big trouble.
gamestop
Elite

Post by gamestop »

fullmetal wrote: 1V rep 1: Oregon St. and Penn are seeded to advance ahead of Virginia, which would have been unthinkable a few years ago, but here we are. The Cavs have their chance this afternoon.
1V rep 2: Michigan and SMU are seeded to advance. Syracuse and Rutgers will try to challenge. I might actually pick SMU to upset Michigan in the reps if SMU gives it full gas (SMU was only 0.088 sec behind Ohio State at the Longhorn Invite).
Virginia and SMU both squeak in there while Upenn and Mich win the reps. Looked like OSU and Rutgers respectively gave them hell so don't think anyone was not giving full gas.
rowing wrote: Then the money thing ruins it all. If the football balance thing ever goes away----big trouble.
While Title IX isn't going anywhere, NCAA is barely holding on to what could be called governance for football in power 5 conferences, so the football balance thing could look very different in not too distant future.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

JD wrote: Duke and others lay it all out during the season, just to get to NCAA's. When they get there, they may be toast. Others (Stanford, Texas, etc.) are certain they will make it and are developing speed all spring long. One good program that stayed home had a compromised athlete in their stern 3 each of their last two races: a personal tragedy one race and severe illness the next. They may have been fast enough to deserve a bid, but lackluster performances doomed them. Had that happened to Duke, they may have stayed home. If you're a bubble crew, you need to build a resume.
Outstanding point.

Know who and where you are coaching.

Zenon used to have USC peak to win the Crew Classic just for this very reason.