What happens in Vegas....

rowing
Old timer

Re: What happens in Vegas....

Post by rowing »

Faster-n-faster wrote:
rowing wrote:It is a bit comical that the grownups table and the kids table are in limited orbits.

I wonder how each college's media breakdancers will pop and lock it come Monday.
It is a bit comical. Like how Stanford sent one mystery boat to the crew classic and didn’t race in the big event..

This race is really about the kid’s table though. They need to get some results and then bicker over the at-large bids.

Do you really think any NCAA selectors will fall for this? Please.

At best, this is subterfuge for Peter Principle ADs asleep at the cash register.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Saturday V8 results:

CAL>OSU>UCLA>ALA
STAN>PENN>SMU>USC
UW>WSU>IOWA>CLEM

Nice surprises from OSU and PENN.
fatherrowsbest
Varsity

Post by fatherrowsbest »

rowing wrote:Saturday V8 results:

CAL>OSU>UCLA>ALA
STAN>PENN>SMU>USC
UW>WSU>IOWA>CLEM

First group no surprise but. Penn over smu surprise?
How about Iowa only beating Clemson.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

fatherrowsbest wrote:

CAL>OSU>UCLA>ALA
STAN>PENN>SMU>USC
UW>WSU>IOWA>CLEM

OSU pressed CAL for a good while, so definitely a surprise there. They haven't been that hungry in a long time.

SMU has been sharper for longer than PENN. Maybe tent life is good for Quakers?

IOWA over CLEM was the best outcome for that race. WSU has teeth. They usually dull down a bit by NCAA, but ignore them in the regular season at your peril. They peak at Pac 12 Champs to grab that last at-large slot.
asdad123
Pre-Elite

Post by asdad123 »

fatherrowsbest wrote:

CAL>OSU>UCLA>ALA
STAN>PENN>SMU>USC
UW>WSU>IOWA>CLEM

I think Iowa had started to take a step back last year. 2018 and 2019 were 4 seconds off Michigan at Big 10, 2021 turned to 20 seconds.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

rowing wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:I was not suggesting they were avoiding competition, I would like to seen how they would have stacked up.

I have been saying Yale is fast for several weeks now. The coaches have tweaked the training a bit and the recruiting is good.

April flutters bring May shudders. It's nice to be faster than slower at any given point, but I can't see a jump from 8th in 2019 to any higher than 6th in 2022. Ivies have not finished in the points top 5 since Brown in 2015.

In fact, fcuk it, I'll call Brown over Yale when NCAA Sunday is done. They have history AND culture on their side.
I get it. Murph is one of the best coaches in college rowing and anything can happen. But I closely watched Yale row in Oak Ridge, and they are something special. Both eights stay on top of the water like no college crews I can remember - like they were being pulled by a string. Dunno for sure, but rumor was everyone in their eights was under 7.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

JD wrote:
rowing wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:I was not suggesting they were avoiding competition, I would like to seen how they would have stacked up.

I have been saying Yale is fast for several weeks now. The coaches have tweaked the training a bit and the recruiting is good.

April flutters bring May shudders. It's nice to be faster than slower at any given point, but I can't see a jump from 8th in 2019 to any higher than 6th in 2022. Ivies have not finished in the points top 5 since Brown in 2015.

In fact, fcuk it, I'll call Brown over Yale when NCAA Sunday is done. They have history AND culture on their side.
I get it. Murph is one of the best coaches in college rowing and anything can happen. But I closely watched Yale row in Oak Ridge, and they are something special. Both eights stay on top of the water like no college crews I can remember - like they were being pulled by a string. Dunno for sure, but rumor was everyone in their eights was under 7.
I think too many people are building a chupacabra with only a few tufts of ambiguous fur that could be dryer lint. Maybe we can make a black swan! Yale finishing in top 12 points at NCAA would be notable, but don't pick out sheets for the honeymoon suite. April not even halfway done.

Let's be honest. Oak Ridge in March is like shore leave. Anything looks good when you've been cooped up that long.
fatherrowsbest
Varsity

Post by fatherrowsbest »

asdad123 wrote:
fatherrowsbest wrote:

CAL>OSU>UCLA>ALA
STAN>PENN>SMU>USC
UW>WSU>IOWA>CLEM

I think Iowa had started to take a step back last year. 2018 and 2019 were 4 seconds off Michigan at Big 10, 2021 turned to 20 seconds.
Guess covid hit Iowa hard and slowed them down a bit.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

fatherrowsbest wrote:
asdad123 wrote:
fatherrowsbest wrote:

CAL>OSU>UCLA>ALA
STAN>PENN>SMU>USC
UW>WSU>IOWA>CLEM

Don't forget that dumbass consultant trying to count novice rowers as varsity slots. Where did they find that lead paint chip eater?
fatherrowsbest
Varsity

Post by fatherrowsbest »

rowing wrote:
fatherrowsbest wrote:
asdad123 wrote:
fatherrowsbest wrote:

CAL>OSU>UCLA>ALA
STAN>PENN>SMU>USC
UW>WSU>IOWA>CLEM

Don't forget that dumbass consultant trying to count novice rowers as varsity slots. Where did they find that lead paint chip eater?
So counting novice rowers as varsity slots effects boats speed of the top three boats? Thinking Maybe the coaching change had an effect on the team.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

It was a significant internal distraction and specifically challenged by Carter because of its budget implications.

You don't really blame the pebbles for the avalanche but they add up.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Not sure how you avoid counting novices short of having a club team given the ncaa rules.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Slim wrote:Not sure how you avoid counting novices short of having a club team given the ncaa rules.
I think it was something internal at Iowa. The articles didn't go into it in great detail. But it was clearly some sort of sore point in Carter's final year or two.
asdad123
Pre-Elite

Post by asdad123 »

fatherrowsbest wrote:
Thinking Maybe the coaching change had an effect on the team.
They had fallen off by spring 2021, coaching change happened in the fall of 2021
bz
Pre-Elite

Post by bz »

This article is a bit dated but has some good background on the issue of novice rowing and its impact on gender equity, in particular at Iowa.

https://www.thegazette.com/news/some-sa ... athletics/

An argument can be made that student-athletes on a subvarsity team don't get the same athletic experience as student-athletes on a varsity team and therefore should not be counted for gender equity considerations. (N.B. What we in the rowing world often call the junior varsity is not really a subvarsity team. Depending on the structure of the program, a novice squad/team/subset could be considered a subvarsity team.)

Bill Zack