Empacher dominance

rowing
Old timer

Re: Empacher dominance

Post by rowing »

str8four wrote:I watched the D1 NCAA Semis this morning and by my count the shells were: 10 Hudsons, 7 Empachers, and 5 Pococks. Considerably more parity than the men at Sprints, Pac -12, or IRA.

I would guess that there are at least 35 D1 Women's programs that have equal or more resources ($$$ for scholarships, coaching, shells, travel, etc.) then all but the top 5 or 6 mens programs. The fact that we see more parity there suggests it is not the shell that makes the difference in the speed, it is the psyche.
The women have all the money and opportunity. Rowing is a growth sport for them in the last quarter century.

Men are decaying, dwindling, and in despair, so they go shopping for pretty yellow boats to wait out that inevitable final walk to the AD's office.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Is Empacher heavily represented in men's lightweight rowing? (We'll find out next week.)
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

fullmetal wrote:Is Empacher heavily represented in men's lightweight rowing? (We'll find out next week.)
I would say there's more Hudson's than Empachers that have won on recent years (Cornell is all Hudsons, I believe Colimbia won in Hudsons) but I haven't run the numbers.

I would also say it feels like lightweight programs experiment a bit more based on the year/crew. I think Columbia and Penn have switched back and forth a bit over the last few years.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

IIRC, Cornell lights were winning in a Vespoli just a few years back.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I have an unsubstantiated hypothesis that maybe Empacher are considered to be the premium builders for ~200 lb avg (heavy) eights. Lighter crews might have a better go in properly-sized eights from different manufacturers.
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

JD wrote:IIRC, Cornell lights were winning in a Vespoli just a few years back.
Cornell lights haven’t won in a Vespoli since like 2007 under Kenneth.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

Mango wrote:
JD wrote:IIRC, Cornell lights were winning in a Vespoli just a few years back.
Cornell lights haven’t won in a Vespoli since like 2007 under Kenneth.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

John Davis
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

JD wrote:cornell lights rowing 2015

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2015/4/2 ... 52848.aspx
They were never in. Even in the line provided link, smack in the middle is the varsity 8 in a white Hudson. I mean sure, I guess the 3VL8 won sprints that year in a Vespoli, but generally when you say "they won in an X" you are talking about their V8. The entire fleet hadn't been turned over but their v8 and small boats were Hudsons.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

I personally don't think Another is delivering the quality of boat it did 5 years ago.

But until someone shows up at world or the Olympics and wins the eight in another brand I doubt much will change.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

It DOES take a lot of time to Photoshop the NZL black Filippi into a yellow German boat, but it is worth the effort. I highly recommend!
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Remember Filippi is paying more directors / countries and athletes to row their hulls.

Universities pay full price for their hulls and coaches want support along with a good product.

I feel Mahe was faster in an Empacher and Emma Twigg turned to Empacher to win gold in 2021.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

lt.wolf wrote:Remember Filippi is paying more directors / countries and athletes to row their hulls.

Is Filippi still the best performing (ie highest medal count) boat builder @ Worlds?

Keeping the professionals in their boat is probably the best marketing a builder can buy.
cjrows
Novice

Post by cjrows »

sandor wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:Remember Filippi is paying more directors / countries and athletes to row their hulls.

Is Filippi still the best performing (ie highest medal count) boat builder @ Worlds?

Keeping the professionals in their boat is probably the best marketing a builder can buy.
Best performing as in number of hulls or most medals? I think the point is that Filippi has bought their way to the top instead of generic chosing of the hulls by teams. Easy to do with govt. monies.