Empacher dominance

sandor
Old timer

Re: Empacher dominance

Post by sandor »

cjrows wrote:
sandor wrote:
lt.wolf wrote:Remember Filippi is paying more directors / countries and athletes to row their hulls.

Is Filippi still the best performing (ie highest medal count) boat builder @ Worlds?

Keeping the professionals in their boat is probably the best marketing a builder can buy.
Best performing as in number of hulls or most medals? I think the point is that Filippi has bought their way to the top instead of generic chosing of the hulls by teams. Easy to do with govt. monies.
Most medals, and it is a yes.
I think it has been a yes for a while now.

Regardless of the source of money is secured (see: corporate welfare in the US), their boats are not slow.

https://www.filippiboats.com/eng/latest ... -forgotten
We are in heaven.
A paradise that glitters with gold, silver and bronze. 24 medals out of 42 available, equal to 57% of the prize pool. 7 gold, 10 silver and 7 bronze.
https://www.filippiboats.com/eng/latest ... ships-2019
https://www.filippiboats.com/eng/latest ... ships-2018
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I wouldn’t say “best” but yes to be fair they do round up the medal count with complimentary boats and funding. It’s business.

Empacher and Hudson do it just not at the extent Filippi can.

It only goes to say that the programs who can and will spend , spend their money on Empacher and Hudson eights, with a little Vespoli and Wintech mixed in.

Just to add , Filippi has done great things in expanding the sport of rowing. The funding hasn’t just ended up in someone’s pockets.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Columbia lights get the win going back into a Pocock.
Adamstog
Varsity

Post by Adamstog »

Was Wisco in a borrowed boat or did they actually buy an Empacher?
okayrower
Pre-Elite

Post by okayrower »

Were all varsity heavyweight eights in PF and GF racing in Empachers? What was the highest finishing boat in the event outside of Empacher?
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

okayrower wrote:Were all varsity heavyweight eights in PF and GF racing in Empachers? What was the highest finishing boat in the event outside of Empacher?
Wisco -12- Pocock
Penn-16- Hudson
Marist- 21- Vespoli

I think that’s the the entire list for the V8+
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Mango wrote:
okayrower wrote:Were all varsity heavyweight eights in PF and GF racing in Empachers? What was the highest finishing boat in the event outside of Empacher?
Wisco -12- Pocock
Penn-16- Hudson
Marist- 21- Vespoli

Marist was the only HW V8 not in yellow
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

socalstroke wrote:
Mango wrote:
Wisco -12- Pocock
Penn-16- Hudson
Marist- 21- Vespoli

Marist was the only HW V8 not in yellow
Didn't realize Penn moved back.

For whatever reason I never thought Chris Clark would make the jump. I knew the rest of the program was in Pococks. I thought he would stay all "git r' done, American made, walk-ons only!"

I am actually surprised that the LW8+ are not in a single King. It has been a really successful boat for the juniors and there is a lot more vendor diversity in the event. I get Resolute for that weight class. Just surprised that we never see a single King LW8+ in the event.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Also surprised on the lack of King, at first glance I thought that may be what Columbia was in before I realized it was the Pocock.

The impression I have if King at the junior level is "Empacher lite" where you get the consistency/stability similar to Empacher at a discount. Somebody earlier mentioned that reputation is what keeps heavies in yellow, I wonder if that holds back King at the collegiate level, "if I want an Empacher feel, I'll just row an Empacher" I doubt the marginal cost matters much when the heavy side of the boathouse is all yellow anyways.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

King is a great hull, but the quality of the components is 100% Wintech.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Columbia had Kings under Alwin and maybe for a spell afterwards. BC and a few others (men and women ) on the collegiate level rowed them. Even the Yale JV were in a Wintech at one point when one of their Emapchers ran aground.

Something must have changed at King / WinTech …wink

The King shape is good

Last time Yale lights won a national championship was in a King
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

I was actually referring to light women and the King. But you could probably throw light men and heavy women into the mix as well.
JD
Old timer

Post by JD »

The King hull shape looks like a 90's Kaschper shape to me.

One thing about Empacher paint is that the yellow they use is the most blemish-hiding hue one can paint an object. Close inspection reveals there are none to hide, as it is about the fairest hull around. It is also one of the hardest colors to match and Empacher has used a number of different shades of that yellow, so you have to be careful what you're using on a repair. Tim Searles in Oak Ridge must have half a dozen cans of Empacher yellow - all different. He still prefers to not work on Chinese boats, as they are so shoddily manufactured underneath the paint, although he has said that Wintech is the best of them.
John Davis
What is the first business of the philosopher? To caste away conceit. For it is impossible for anyone to learn
that which he thinks he already knows. -Epictetus
Mango
Old timer

Post by Mango »

JD wrote:The King hull shape looks like a 90's Kaschper shape to me.

One thing about Empacher paint is that the yellow they use is the most blemish-hiding hue one can paint an object. Close inspection reveals there are none to hide, as it is about the fairest hull around. It is also one of the hardest colors to match and Empacher has used a number of different shades of that yellow, so you have to be careful what you're using on a repair. Tim Searles in Oak Ridge must have half a dozen cans of Empacher yellow - all different. He still prefers to not work on Chinese boats, as they are so shoddily manufactured underneath the paint, although he has said that Wintech is the best of them.

Everytime I see it, I see the Vespo Millenium.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Texas Women , Hudson , Croker Oars
Columbia Light Men , Pocock , Croker Oars
Yale HW Men, Empacher , C2
Princeton Light women, Vespoli , C2