HRR 2022

crewu
Old timer

HRR 2022

Post by crewu »

What is your ideal match up for this year?

For me, I'd love to see Yale V USA in the first round of the Grand. Winner goes on to race GBR on Sunday.
FullSend
Elite

Re: HRR 2022

Post by FullSend »

Any IRA GF crew (relatively) intact against anyone. Feels like the last time it was even close was Yale vs Washington in the first YouTube year (2015?)

I don't see it happening, these days many of those athletes go back to home countries for U23s and the like and all we get are 1V-2V-3V composites.

Would have been fascinating to watch Yale v Top Brookes at some point over the last few years, but it's hard to clone Tom Digby so he can race with both
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

FullSend wrote:Feels like the last time it was even close was Yale vs Washington in the first YouTube year (2015?)
I think that was the Ladies Plate. Has a US college won the Grand in the last 60 years?
Rush N. Hang
Varsity

Post by Rush N. Hang »

crewu wrote:
FullSend wrote:Feels like the last time it was even close was Yale vs Washington in the first YouTube year (2015?)
I think that was the Ladies Plate. Has a US college won the Grand in the last 60 years?
Harvard in 1985.

UDub in 1977.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

I'm not nearly as well versed in HRR history as many here, but I would argue that the it's wildly unrealistic for a university to win the Grand other than Olympic years where national teams aren't entering. This isn't 1970-whatever where college 8s were the US men's 8.

These days you basically have to beat the GB senior 8+. I'd reckon an intact Yale 8+ from their fastest year could maybe make it a race. Maybe.

UDub giving GB a run in 2013 was really impressive. Since then it's even more rare to see top athletes stick around for HRR with their college. Watch a lot of those GB U23/Leander/Brookes boats at the regatta and check out how many of the athletes these days are wearing hats/undershirts from their uni. Many/most of those are active students not just alums