Attachments
096D4FA0-A034-49A8-9D59-79784A0365ED.jpeg
096D4FA0-A034-49A8-9D59-79784A0365ED.jpeg (569.55 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
rowing
Old timer

Re: Youth Nationals Controversy, Rowers Choice

Post by rowing »

"It was particularly nice weather today."

"Tickle my arse with a feather you say? How dare you!!!! My hippocampus is sprained!!!!"
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

Could somebody post the actual
Clip? I haven’t heard anything in what’s been posted thus far.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
gamestop
Elite

Post by gamestop »

It's pretty clear to me he doesn't say it. He's relaying a story. And they addressed it on the follow up broadcast (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UAYAAZtl9Dw) about 40 secs in. They own it way more than they needed to in my opinion, kinda feel bad for the guy.

It makes me wonder who/how many heard it wrong and brought it to USRowing, or if USRowing caught it wrong on their own. I imagine USRowing would have a hair pin trigger for something like that so someone in house could've mis heard it. But with live viewers, someone is bound to be loud wrong about the internet, so it could've been anyone.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

The cult of shriek owes an apology to Zach and USRowing.
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

Thank you!

I heard “n…..what you talkin bout”

Sounds nothing like “there they go”

Am I missing something?
Almostflipped
Old timer

Post by Almostflipped »

I heard both. First time, it was after reading a thread saying I would hear “n” and I did hear “n”. However when I relistened and slowed it down, seemed clear he said “and they go” but very quickly. Not sure which one is my imagination compared to reality. Main take home, usrowing desperately needs a good PR person cause the “sorry you are offended over nothing” approach is guaranteed to fuel fires. They can’t get out of their own way.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Cowbells123 wrote:
Thank you!

I heard “n…..what you talkin bout”

Sounds nothing like “there they go”

Am I missing something?
Yes, you are missing something. It wasn't "there they go."

It was "and they go."

Try it in an overcaffeinated Jersey accent. You'll feel like an extra on The Sopranos.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Media professionals are trained to enunciate words properly to avoid these sorts of situations. Sure, let's assume best intent, but that was a highly suspect couple of syllables at best. Unacceptable for someone given a national (technically a global) platform on which to emcee a good portion of rowing commentary. You just cannot make that kind of mistake if you are getting paid to be a television journalist/commentator.

I don't think USRowing needs to bend over backwards to defend Rowers Choice, but they have, and hopefully the appropriate lessons have been learned.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I am more and more impressed by todays young athletes here at Youth Nationals, they are a very open and supportive group of the LGBTQ, racial and ethnic communities. They race hard, professionally and with sportsmanship. Kudos to the coaches leading them.

The production of the event has been impressive, I feel we will see a more professional journalism broadcast team take form in the future as it is apparent that there is a big supporter group at home following along live.

The tower team , Shoop and David Wyant , have worked non stop calling the races on the venue.

I do feel there needs to be one more layer of racing in the progression and I am almost past the missing the lightweight events, almost.

It is time for the finals! Let’s go
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

Shame the good behaviour doesn't extend to their supporters on r/rowing. The place is (even more of) a sh*tshow atm.
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

KitD wrote:Shame the good behaviour doesn't extend to their supporters on r/rowing. The place is (even more of) a sh*tshow atm.

No doubt our youth take their cues from the behavior of some of the adults around them. Whenever I catch myself saying “kids these days” I usually find a more deplorable adult leading the way.
WingedFoot
Pre-Elite

Post by WingedFoot »