Pac12 defections?? Big10 gains??

oldman
Pre-Elite

Re: Pac12 defections?? Big10 gains??

Post by oldman »

You mean like today's D1 basketball and football? Maybe rowing won't go that route, and travel long distances less and get together only for the championships. We don't know how this will play out.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

In the east and Midwest, with the multi team regattas, such as Big 10 Challenge, Redwood Shores and Cardinal, Women's Rowing is already playing outside their leagues, except for their Championships. This is unlike some sports where they lick a patsy then play within their conference. As for the Pac10 schools, it may be necessary for them to travel more. Traditionally the western powers have hardly travelled at all until the last few years when UCLA, UW and Stanford came east. Cal and WSU never did leave the coast until Cal went to NCAAs.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Those invite regattas are opt-in races. I'm not sure whether the Big 10 would require conference duals between its midwest constituents and its west coast constituents. If so, then life gets hard. But I hope the Big 10 rowing programs would be reasonable. That conference championship though -- adding USC, UCLA, and UW -- will be monstrous.

Last season, UW didn't race outside the west coast time zone except at the Charles. They placed second at NCAAs. Maybe that's something other programs would consider.

https://gohuskies.com/sports/womens-row ... le/2022-23
andpaddle
Varsity

Post by andpaddle »

I see the buzz around Cal, Stanford and SMU to the ACC has picked back up - reports from national media are that it’d be for all sports. Obviously football is driving the bus but on the rowing side, that would really spice up the ACC!

Not sure what’ll happen to Washington State and Oregon State - I saw they’re exploring a move to the AAC so I guess they’d slot in for SMU as the power(s) in that league. If they go Mountain West, maybe they’d join as affiliate members for rowing? Regionally the WCC would make way more sense but I’m guessing Gonzaga would hate having to fight for their automatic yearly bid.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Now a report that Cal and Stanford are trying to get into the Big12.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/ ... e3b5&ei=25
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Yup, play the acc and the big 12 against each other and hope someone bites.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Way funnier if none takes them.
rowingusa
Novice

Post by rowingusa »

The 2024 Big 12 Rowing Championship is coming to Nathan Benderson Park in Sarasota, Florida on May 19.
https://big12sports.com/tournaments/?id=1034
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

Things just got interesting in the ACC..this morning, the Presidents and ADs voted and the ACC will extend invitations to Stanford, California and SMU to join the ACC next year.

The three schools have not yet officially accepted, but from the rumors they will.

So does that leave Oregon St out in the cold with no conference championship now? Wonder what will happen to them.

Stuff is going to look very different next year.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

All sports starting in ‘24 ‘25. Virginia is going to have a hard time maintaining their streak.
okayrower
Pre-Elite

Post by okayrower »

Good news that Cal and Stanford landed in a power conference, but I wonder if any rowing coach (or any coach of an Olympic sport for that matter) is happy about this. The Cal and Stanford athletic departments will get $10 million per year after turning down $30 million, they’re going to feel the crunch. Meanwhile, the rowing teams will make two trips to the east coast in May, and I can’t believe any of the ACC programs are excited to have two powerhouses join their conference. Anson Dorrance (UNC soccer) made his views known a couple weeks ago.
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

My question is, where does this leave the remaining PAC 12 teams? In rowing - that is Wash St and Oregon St. Do they try and join another conference as an affiliate member in the sport of rowing? I can't imagine the WCC would be excited to have them join. What other conference would make sense and be willing to let them race with them.

The other question I have is - currently the SEC schools race at the Big 12 Rowing Championships. Which I am sure has been fine with the Big 12 since I don't believe an SEC team has ever won the Big 12 Championships in rowing.
However, Texas departing the Big12 and heading to the SEC, how much longer do you think the Big 12 will keep hosting the rowing championships if Texas (a school that left the conference) is winning it as an SEC school? Do you think the SEC will take over hosting it even if there are still more Big 12 schools participating in the championship?

Who said conference realignment wasn't fun?
Last edited by Mandolorian on Fri Sep 01, 2023 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Texas and Oklahoma are joining the SEC in 2024. Alabama and Tennessee are already in the SEC. That's your top 4 of the "Big12" rowing champs in most years. KSU, KU, and WVU will probably finish behind Big12 newcomer UCF in 2024. I think we may see a splinter.

SEC goes off and takes on 2 affiliates. Big12 does the same. Each gets AQ status.
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

If there is no Pac* conference in rowing, then there will be 10 conferences and 10 at-large programs at NCAAs in 2025.
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

oldman wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:17 pm If there is no Pac* conference in rowing, then there will be 10 conferences and 10 at-large programs at NCAAs in 2025.
The number of teams selected for the NCAAs is based upon the overall number of schools sponsoring the sport. So there will still be 22 schools represented at the NCAAs, only it will be 10 AQ and 12 at large.