a back up camera for rowers Hyndsight Vision Systems CRUZ camera

Moderator: lt.wolf

paradox
Pre-Elite

a back up camera for rowers Hyndsight Vision Systems CRUZ camera

Post by paradox »

I came across the Hyndsight Vision Systems CRUZ camera which is a back up camer to assist rowers.

Does anyone have any experience with this system, or can you recommend a similar back up camera system?

Thanks
sandor
Old timer

Re: a back up camera for rowers Hyndsight Vision Systems CRUZ camera

Post by sandor »

Could probably piece together something quite nice from after market car cameras:

https://a.co/d/aEecJDX
LakeGator
Varsity

Post by LakeGator »

The wife of one of my college teammates bought a Hyndsight several years ago and loves it. I believe that they may have gone out of business as their website, http://www.hyndsightvision.com/, is no longer available. My recollection was the cost was a bit over $500.

Using something like this needs to be used as only a way to augment the head on a swivel approach. It is all too easy to lose situational awareness if you depend on something like this. I know there have been discussions about having collision avoidance systems using things like Doppler, but these seem only wishful thinking at this point.
KitD
Old timer

Post by KitD »

I'm pretty sure that computer vision has advanced sufficiently to be able to produce a camera-based collision avoidance system running on a simple single-board computer, or even a phone. Object detection systems are ubiquitous and there are plenty of projects doing similar for eg drones. The expense isn't the technology IMO, it's the time and resources required to train such a system to handle a wide range of on-the-water situations.