UC San Diego wrongful death lawsuit

sandor
Old timer

UC San Diego wrongful death lawsuit

Post by sandor »

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/sto ... te-suicide

“ Brenda and Brian Lilly Sr. have filed a wrongful-death suit against Bond and the school, alleging the coach mistreated their son largely because he challenged Bond's decision to allow a rower to remain on the team despite allegations of sexual misconduct against the athlete. They are adamant their son was verbally abused by Bond, leading to his suicide in January 2021.”
Slim
Old timer

Re: UC San Diego wrongful death lawsuit

Post by Slim »

Similar in some ways to the lawsuit filed by the parents of Katie Meyer, soccer player at Stanford:
https://abc7news.com/stanford-soccer-ka ... /12493833/
mwsculls
Novice

Post by mwsculls »

- Mike Wagner
Sagamore Rowing Association
Oyster Bay, NY
http://www.sagamorerowing.org/
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

There is a sickness for the younger generations in this new world that is leading to increased mental illness, suicide, and gender confusion. It is wrong and some one must be blamed for it. Unfortunately lawsuits typically go after the closest and deepest pockets.

We need to start evaluating more closely the food the young eat, the air they breath, the fluids they drink and the amount of screen time they consume each day.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

[quote="crewu"]There is a sickness for the younger generations in this new world that is leading to increased mental illness, suicide, and gender confusion. It is wrong and some one must be blamed for it. Unfortunately lawsuits typically go after the closest and deepest pockets.

We need to start evaluating more closely the food the young eat, the air they breath, the fluids they drink and the amount of screen time they consume each day.[/quote]

i believe the suicide rate is generally stable since the ‘70s, and far below the early 20th century.

not sure about the college cohort, but, if in the age of highly competitive collegiate sports, there is an increased rate amongst those with perhaps the most helpful support structures…

…well maybe the issue could have some relation to the purveyors of the environment as well…
1A834411-F215-44C2-B5F8-74A6D9B7616A.png
1A834411-F215-44C2-B5F8-74A6D9B7616A.png (66.52 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Faria, Miguel. (2012). America, guns and freedom: Part II — An international perspective. Surgical neurology international. 3. 135. 10.4103/2152-7806.103542.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Youth-Suicide-Deaths-1999-2019.CT1-1_2col.jpg
Youth-Suicide-Deaths-1999-2019.CT1-1_2col.jpg (38.09 KiB) Viewed 1300 times
I could probably mark on here the advent of social media but that might be as anecdotal as noting Steve Gladstone left California in 2008.
PubliusRex
Novice

Post by PubliusRex »

[quote="sandor"]

i believe the suicide rate is generally stable since the ‘70s, and far below the early 20th century.
1A834411-F215-44C2-B5F8-74A6D9B7616A.png
Faria, Miguel. (2012). America, guns and freedom: Part II — An international perspective. Surgical neurology international. 3. 135. 10.4103/2152-7806.103542.[/quote]

A gun-specific examination may be a fairly opaque source to use when discussing suicide risk in the united states. It is also particularly telling that the figure stops around 1988, and I'm having significant difficulty locating the background for the figure. I also question how on earth the notations were chosen. It's probably necessary if tangential to note that I am quite pro-2A, but the author is a neurosurgeon and a 2A advocate, not a statistician or suicidologist, and there are some academic tells. His off-label work was also predominantly centered on firearm affect and criminology, not on suicide.

Past that, it's difficult to even argue that firearms as a whole have even close to the amplitude in causality to explain significant shifts in age distribution in suicide. Since the early 2000s, there has been an almost monotonic growth in suicide rates (~30% IIRC), particularly developed in ages under 45. The US has (even conservatively) fluctuated +- 14/100k for several years now, and the 15-24 tranche (I think ~10 to mid 14/100k over last 10) and the 25-34 tranches have been significantly overrepresented in growth. https://jmcintos.pages.iu.edu/SuicideDataCompiled.htm might be a useful resource.

Either way, it's difficult to pin these issues on high performance athletics, but it's also difficult to pin these macro issues on anything. I suspect that the "purveyors of the environment" may indeed be causative. Well-socialized, healthy, balanced kids are an underrepresented group at Ivy league schools, Stanford, or rowing in general, and it's hard to argue that those who come from those environments and return as parents or coaches are not equally or more pathological, though I use that word loosely.
sandor
Old timer

Post by sandor »

publiusrex - the source simply did a good job graphing the US suicide data over multiple generations. the content of the paper wasn’t meant to be applicable, just wanted to cite the source.

the visual depiction of the ebb & flow over decades can be useful
Cowbells123
Pre-Elite

Post by Cowbells123 »

“Well-socialized, healthy, balanced kids are an underrepresented group at Ivy league schools, Stanford, or rowing in general, and it's hard to argue that those who come from those environments and return as parents or coaches are not equally or more pathological, though I use that word loosely.”

Talk about a generalization. Please share some studies that speak to the predominance of these known factors among the population you cite…. :roll:
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »