Windemere Cup: an official visit?

Stewie Griffin Should Cox
Old timer

Re: Windemere Cup: an official visit?

Post by Stewie Griffin Should Cox »

Taylor Ritzel

Great example of an athlete developed in college

I can’t believe that the right physical unit can’t be developed in 4 years to be better than the Junior International who is an average athlete but has been rowing since they are 12.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I have to assume that college coaches know better than to spend four years of scholarship on an average athlete who happens to be a junior international, although yes, that's not uncommon to see at less prestigious programs.

Taylor is a great example, as were many US athletes from the 2012 Olympics, but that was also over a decade ago. These days, I think a more appropriate metric for measuring the impact of developing athletes vs. recruiting experience would be their collegiate NCAA results. That's what would sway college coaches away from global JNT recruiting: evidence that another way of roster-building will yield better results.

It takes a lot of effort, and coaches have to be willing and capable of expending that effort.
RowingFan14
Novice

Post by RowingFan14 »

I'm late to this, but ... the Aussie women who rowed at Windermere Cup this year were all post-college. They already attended college in Australia (other than the one who went to Harvard), so would not be eligible to compete in NCAA rowing -- not because of their age, but because they had exhausted their eligibility.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

RowingFan14 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:40 pm I'm late to this, but ... the Aussie women who rowed at Windermere Cup this year were all post-college. They already attended college in Australia (other than the one who went to Harvard), so would not be eligible to compete in NCAA rowing -- not because of their age, but because they had exhausted their eligibility.
Good stuff. And now we know that Washington was a really fast eight racing really fast AUS U23s.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Of course being done with undergrad doesn’t mean you don’t have eligibility…
RowingFan14
Novice

Post by RowingFan14 »

Slim wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 5:21 pm Of course being done with undergrad doesn’t mean you don’t have eligibility…
That's true, and while I don't know the specifics of their individual academic careers, I think, by age and having gone to college, most (if not all) of their eligibility clocks would have expired. COVID-19 and other more rare exceptions aside, once you start college, your five-year countdown begins.

If you google the women in that crew, they seem to be college graduates with jobs -- 23 or 24 years old and probably 5 years removed from having started college.

Point is, I don't think you'll see any of those rowers in a U.S. college crew -- Washington or otherwise.