HRR 2023

rowingpun
Elite

Re: HRR 2023

Post by rowingpun »

FullSend wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:22 pm
Sarge wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:13 pm My feeling is that loosening the Temple rules was/is a mistake. 3 guys from Washington's Varsity sitting in their Temple boat...

Yes, I know everyone can do it, but doesn't it reduce entries in the ladies? I believe that the Temple should be JV/3v stuff. Your 3 varsity guys could grab a good 4th and race the visitors
Overall, I agree I liked the old standards better and now the Ladies is a bit of a no mans land (though a decent entry count again).

To be fair, that's what they did what you said last year and won the Visitors'. I'm guessing they wanted to bring more along for the ride and build into next year.

OBU top Temple 8 is now similar speed to a lot of IRA 1Vs so unless you're going to somehow legislate that out I don't know what you do to avoid just OBU running the event in perpetuity.

Side note, I'm still confused on the Dutch student clubs. My understanding is they are clubs made up of students from different universities in the area. How is that Temple eligible other than being grandfathered in? Old heads in the Thames didn't like getting smacked around by 20 year olds?
So was the OBU temple A boat their JV? I was wondering about the hierarchy of their armada, like where the fours fall in the order etc.
rowingpun
Elite

Post by rowingpun »

Sarge wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:13 pm My feeling is that loosening the Temple rules was/is a mistake. 3 guys from Washington's Varsity sitting in their Temple boat...

Yes, I know everyone can do it, but doesn't it reduce entries in the ladies? I believe that the Temple should be JV/3v stuff. Your 3 varsity guys could grab a good 4th and race the visitors
Overall, I agree I liked the old standards better and now the Ladies is a bit of a no mans land (though a decent entry count again).

To be fair, that's what they did what you said last year and won the Visitors'. I'm guessing they wanted to bring more along for the ride and build into next year.

OBU top Temple 8 is now similar speed to a lot of IRA 1Vs so unless you're going to somehow legislate that out I don't know what you do to avoid just OBU running the event in perpetuity.

Side note, I'm still confused on the Dutch student clubs. My understanding is they are clubs made up of students from different universities in the area. How is that Temple eligible other than being grandfathered in? Old heads in the Thames didn't like getting smacked around by 20 year olds?
So was the OBU temple A boat their JV? I was wondering about the hierarchy of their armada, like where the fours fall in the order etc.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

rowingpun wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:23 pm

Brookes is a high performance training centre as well as a university boat club, so the guys racing for Brookes in the Grand, the Stewards and some of the Ladies Plate crew are no longer students. The Temple crew are the top ranked boat from their eligible students
The older I get, the better I was
str8four
Veteran

Post by str8four »

fatsculler wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:56 pm Brookes is a high performance training centre as well as a university boat club, so the guys racing for Brookes in the Grand, the Stewards and some of the Ladies Plate crew are no longer students. The Temple crew are the top ranked boat from their eligible students
Thanks for the insights, there was no way one college program had that much depth. So I am guessing this is how things shook out for their 6 men's wins (plus extra entries):
- OBU Grand Challenge Cup - no students, development boat
- OBU Stewards Cup - no students, development boat
- OBU Visitors - no students, development boat
- OBU Ladies Plate A - no students, development boat
- OBU Ladies Plate B - no students, development boat
- OBU Ladies Plate C - no students, development boat
- OBU Temple A - Student V8 Boat (similar crew that lost to Cal at SDCC)
- OBU Temple B - Student 2V
- OBU Temple C - Student 3V/4V
- OBU Prince Albert - Student top four 3V guys

IMO an OBU V8 boat that is 1.7 s behind Cal on April 1st after traveling 1/2 way around the world shouldn't be eligible for the Temple Cup. The American entries in that event are almost always Lightweight 8's, College Club V8's, Dad Vail winners, 2V boats, or (in the good old days) Freshmen 8s. Entering a boat that would have likely medaled in the V8 at IRA seems off.
The aim of an agrument or discussion should not be victory, but progress. - Joseph Joubert
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Think you are a bit off but fats can chime in with more info. I would be interested to know which boats the SDCC athletes raced in. Believe the Island entry was the same or close. Grand Challenge and Stewards were GB by the way.

EARC should add a standing invitation to the BUCS winner. Would be cool to do at the IRA but then you would piss off someone because of the cap on entries.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

str8four wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 9:04 am
fatsculler wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 4:56 pm Brookes is a high performance training centre as well as a university boat club, so the guys racing for Brookes in the Grand, the Stewards and some of the Ladies Plate crew are no longer students. The Temple crew are the top ranked boat from their eligible students
Thanks for the insights, there was no way one college program had that much depth. So I am guessing this is how things shook out for their 6 men's wins (plus extra entries):
- OBU Grand Challenge Cup - no students, development boat
- OBU Stewards Cup - no students, development boat
- OBU Visitors - no students, development boat
- OBU Ladies Plate A - no students, development boat
- OBU Ladies Plate B - no students, development boat
- OBU Ladies Plate C - no students, development boat
- OBU Temple A - Student V8 Boat (similar crew that lost to Cal at SDCC)
- OBU Temple B - Student 2V
- OBU Temple C - Student 3V/4V
- OBU Prince Albert - Student top four 3V guys

IMO an OBU V8 boat that is 1.7 s behind Cal on April 1st after traveling 1/2 way around the world shouldn't be eligible for the Temple Cup. The American entries in that event are almost always Lightweight 8's, College Club V8's, Dad Vail winners, 2V boats, or (in the good old days) Freshmen 8s. Entering a boat that would have likely medaled in the V8 at IRA seems off.
I’ll have to have a look at who was in the Ladies B & C boats, it was probably a mix of students/ development guys
Brookes often get criticised for not entering up but their argument is that they enter the events for which they’re eligible. Temple only excludes senior internationals or U23 medalists…a lot of US Varsity boats can’t race the Temple for those reasons
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

The Grand and Steward's boats are GB senior squad that have a bunch of athletes that use Brookes as their club of choice. Brookes helped develop those athletes, but I don't count those as current Brookes boats.

Still impressive that they helped develop those athletes, but that's like saying the CAN LW2x is a Shawnigan Boat
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

FullSend wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:59 am The Grand and Steward's boats are GB senior squad that have a bunch of athletes that use Brookes as their club of choice. Brookes helped develop those athletes, but I don't count those as current Brookes boats.

Still impressive that they helped develop those athletes, but that's like saying the CAN LW2x is a Shawnigan Boat
I seem to remember hearing that during Lockdown, Caversham (the GB training base) was shut, so a lot of the men's team went to train at Brookes