Henley 2023

fatsculler
Old timer

Henley 2023

Post by fatsculler »

Entries have been released for this year’s Henley. Not a hugely competitive field in the Open events, but the intermediate and junior events look very tasty
https://www.hrr.co.uk/compete/list-of-entries/
The older I get, the better I was
KitD
Old timer

Re: Henley 2023

Post by KitD »

Odds on an all Brookes final in the Ladies?
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

KitD wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 9:02 am Odds on an all Brookes final in the Ladies?
Evens
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Also in the Ladies:
14 Leander Club and Oxford University
19 Oxford University and Leander Club
:lol:
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

fullmetal wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 1:19 pm Also in the Ladies:
14 Leander Club and Oxford University
19 Oxford University and Leander Club
:lol:
That's one of the frustrating idiosyncrasies of Henley....because they don't publish the crew names (just the clubs) you've got no idea just who is in these composites!
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I wonder if the first club name denotes the club to which the majority of the lineup belongs. Otherwise, maybe neither of the lineups wanted to be a B crew. This would have been hilarious:

14 Leander Club and Oxford University A
19 Leander Club and Oxford University B
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

fullmetal wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:07 pm I wonder if the first club name denotes the club to which the majority of the lineup belongs. Otherwise, maybe neither of the lineups wanted to be a B crew. This would have been hilarious:

14 Leander Club and Oxford University A
19 Leander Club and Oxford University B
Usually the first named crew is the majority, plus Henley only ever lists 2 club names in a composite so there’s no guarantee these boats are just Leander/Oxford
Faster-n-faster
Pre-Elite

Post by Faster-n-faster »

Far too many women’s US university crews this year in my opinion. With NCAA rules you only get one international trip every 4 years. I don’t know why you would go if you don’t think you can win it.

Has it just become about just going for the blazer? The Instagram posts? The racing videos? Just seems odd to me.
TheNatureBoy
Pre-Elite

Post by TheNatureBoy »

Faster-n-faster wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:10 pm Far too many women’s US university crews this year in my opinion. With NCAA rules you only get one international trip every 4 years. I don’t know why you would go if you don’t think you can win it.

Has it just become about just going for the blazer? The Instagram posts? The racing videos? Just seems odd to me.
By that logic; then 90% of the crews entered shouldn't even show up. I think a lot of teams do it for many reasons; one being, you get to keep your team together training until July.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

TheNatureBoy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:20 pm
Faster-n-faster wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:10 pm Far too many women’s US university crews this year in my opinion. With NCAA rules you only get one international trip every 4 years. I don’t know why you would go if you don’t think you can win it.

By that logic; then 90% of the crews entered shouldn't even show up. I think a lot of teams do it for many reasons; one being, you get to keep your team together training until July.
And racing at Henley should be on every rower’s bucket list
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Some of the US lwts already out at HWR

Interesting a full blue boat is going for the Island
Faster-n-faster
Pre-Elite

Post by Faster-n-faster »

fatsculler wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:12 pm
TheNatureBoy wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:20 pm

And racing at Henley should be on every rower’s bucket list
I can get behind these sentiments.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Recruiting is also a part of it. You get a way to go see juniors you want to recruit (or are already recruiting). Saying "we go to HRR 1 in every 4 years" is a pretty good hook. For British athletes you'll get to race at home. For US athletes you know you'll get to check an item off the list.
fatsculler
Old timer

Post by fatsculler »

FullSend wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:50 pm Recruiting is also a part of it. You get a way to go see juniors you want to recruit (or are already recruiting). Saying "we go to HRR 1 in every 4 years" is a pretty good hook. For British athletes you'll get to race at home. For US athletes you know you'll get to check an item off the list.
It’s interesting to see how many US-based athletes race at Henley for their home clubs rather than their US college, for example the Marlow/Leander boat in the Remenham are all at US universities
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I wish I'd been able to go to HRR with my college team. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance to race HRR again.