Most Improved for 2024

Which program will show most improvement in 2024?

UCF
21%
Harvard
21%
Tennessee
42%
Tulsa
4%
Miami
8%
USC
No votes
Duke
No votes
Virginia
4%

Total votes: 24

fullmetal
Old timer

Re: Most Improved for 2024

Post by fullmetal »

rowing wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:56 pm What are we saying to those coaches? "You've fcked around for awhile/recently, but here's hoping you finally got your sh~t together!"
It's not impossible. Men: Northeastern, Dartmouth, Syracuse? Women: Yale, Penn?
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

fullmetal wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 11:46 pm
rowing wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:56 pm What are we saying to those coaches? "You've fcked around for awhile/recently, but here's hoping you finally got your sh~t together!"
It's not impossible. Men: Northeastern, Dartmouth, Syracuse? Women: Yale, Penn?
And it isn't like Kevin hasn't won it all before. After being just bad for a few years, USC is at least throwing up some good wins, albeit immediately following those up with big losses.

I suppose I could have added Oklahoma to the list. After driving the program into the ditch Trowbridge might just see her way out of it. But I am not holding my breath.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Trowbridge inherited a program in the ditch. I won't have an opinion until three years into her tenure, when the majority of the roster is of her recruitment. If OU gets faster sooner, it'll be to her credit.

Coaches have to adapt to the landscape of the sport. Right now, that landscape looks like elite fitness and elite recruiting from all over the world. Additionally, it means injury avoidance and creating good team culture.
rowingusa
Novice

Post by rowingusa »

fullmetal wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:13 pm Coaches have to adapt to the landscape of the sport. Right now, that landscape looks like elite fitness and elite recruiting from all over the world.
Tennessee coaches will be at the World Rowing Under 19 Championships Aug. 2-6 in Paris. Will all the top programs be recruiting over there?
dresser
Varsity

Post by dresser »

rowingusa wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:15 pm
fullmetal wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2023 12:13 pm Coaches have to adapt to the landscape of the sport. Right now, that landscape looks like elite fitness and elite recruiting from all over the world.
Tennessee coaches will be at the World Rowing Under 19 Championships Aug. 2-6 in Paris. Will all the top programs be recruiting over there?
Yes.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

rowingusa wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:15 pm
lol guess Cupini cracked the code.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Slim wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:55 am
crewu wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:36 am Question on transfers...clearly if a coach leaves a program to go to another program they are recruiting their rowers to go with them so that appears to be permitted under NCAA rules. But if that is allowed, then is the door open to any coach from any other program to go after those same athletes? Seems that would only be fair.
The athletes all have to enter the transfer portal and can consider other options. The tricky part is the number of spots that Tennessee actually has available to recruit and whether the institution is willing to buy out or not renew the existing athletes on scholarship. If Tennessee is willing, they could make a huge 1 year jump in performance at the expense of their current roster.

My understanding of how it works is: A school may, if they choose, “cut” current athletes to make room for incoming athletes through the portal. The cut athletes retain their scholarships for one year and these scholarships are not counted against the allotted total of, in rowing’s case, 20 Full ride equivalents. In the case of Tennessee, there may be 10 athletes coming from SMU. How the new staff will cut and how many incoming athletes can be scholarships to any great extent might be an issue. If all ten were fulls at SMU, that’s half of your scholarship payout.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

Norm wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:11 pm
Slim wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:55 am
crewu wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 10:36 am Question on transfers...clearly if a coach leaves a program to go to another program they are recruiting their rowers to go with them so that appears to be permitted under NCAA rules. But if that is allowed, then is the door open to any coach from any other program to go after those same athletes? Seems that would only be fair.
The athletes all have to enter the transfer portal and can consider other options. The tricky part is the number of spots that Tennessee actually has available to recruit and whether the institution is willing to buy out or not renew the existing athletes on scholarship. If Tennessee is willing, they could make a huge 1 year jump in performance at the expense of their current roster.

My understanding of how it works is: A school may, if they choose, “cut” current athletes to make room for incoming athletes through the portal. The cut athletes retain their scholarships for one year and these scholarships are not counted against the allotted total of, in rowing’s case, 20 Full ride equivalents. In the case of Tennessee, there may be 10 athletes coming from SMU. How the new staff will cut and how many incoming athletes can be scholarships to any great extent might be an issue. If all ten were fulls at SMU, that’s half of your scholarship payout.
In addition to that, the school must be willing to cover the scholarships of the cut athletes, and those athletes can no longer be on the roster.

So basically Cupini is telling these kids if you want your scholarship, you can keep it, but you can’t do the sport you love at Tennessee, or give up your scholarship and you can continue to row.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

What if a previously recruited and funded TN athlete says, "fcuk you Kim, I'm going to beat your SMU tagalongs in every erg test and seat race!" ?

Do they get to keep their scholarship then?
oldman
Pre-Elite

Post by oldman »

That's the test isn't it? Even getting a seat race would be improbable if coaches are evil.
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

rowing wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:27 am What if a previously recruited and funded TN athlete says, "fcuk you Kim, I'm going to beat your SMU tagalongs in every erg test and seat race!" ?

Nope. Cupini has complete and final decision on who gets a scholarship and who doesn’t. What’s even more interesting is that she has to make the decisions so that she has no more than 20 scholarship athletes on the roster by the start of the academic calendar. So she can’t wait until they start practicing and see how the Tennessee kids compare to her SMU kids. She has to decide before she has even had a chance to watch the Tenn kids.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

So I guess that means there will be three tribes this year--

- one that don't GAF either way and never did

- one that wants to see Kim crash hard with a blast wave that makes other coaches $h!t themselves

- one that hopes Kim nails it with a blast wave that makes other coaches $h!t themselves

Two out of three chances to see other coaches $h!t themselves. I like those odds.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Mandolorian wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:09 pm
rowing wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:27 am What if a previously recruited and funded TN athlete says, "fcuk you Kim, I'm going to beat your SMU tagalongs in every erg test and seat race!" ?

Nope. Cupini has complete and final decision on who gets a scholarship and who doesn’t. What’s even more interesting is that she has to make the decisions so that she has no more than 20 scholarship athletes on the roster by the start of the academic calendar. So she can’t wait until they start practicing and see how the Tennessee kids compare to her SMU kids. She has to decide before she has even had a chance to watch the Tenn kids.
Kids who were 7th at NCAAs vs kids who didn’t get a bid.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Just out of curiosity.....how many inherited scholarships did Dave O'Neill treat similarly when he assumed the reins in Austin?
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

If I remember he brought in transfers at the semester, but didn’t bring athletes from Cal.