Most Improved for 2024

Which program will show most improvement in 2024?

UCF
21%
Harvard
21%
Tennessee
42%
Tulsa
4%
Miami
8%
USC
No votes
Duke
No votes
Virginia
4%

Total votes: 24

rowing
Old timer

Re: Most Improved for 2024

Post by rowing »

Slim wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:44 pm If I remember he brought in transfers at the semester, but didn’t bring athletes from Cal.
Irrelevant who he brought.....who did he kick to the curb?
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

Difference is O'Neill left Cal in a good place so Acosta could just pick up where he left off. It s like Cupini, is basically blowing up SMU as she walks out the door leaving very little for Graham to come in and build upon.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

That's another angle for sure.

But I'm more curious about steamrolling *individual* athletes whose only apparent mistake was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They committed. They signed. They made plans.

Will they get the opportunity to prove they are worth the promises that were extended by the institution under previous representation, or are they screwed without recourse in someone's cutthroat pursuit of 13th to 18th place at 2024 NCAA ????

For the record, "ends justify the means" is usually applied when there are actual ENDS to reflect upon. We seem to be jumping the gun a bit. Or a lot.

For all of the personal faith in "proving it on the water" that rowers seem to have as cultural DNA, I find it amusing so many are keen to accept authoritarian selection (and pre-selection) simply out of a desire to skip the very struggle that forges champions, and replace it with "well, all of that just wastes time, so let's hire some badass pirate!"
rowingusa
Novice

Post by rowingusa »

I would think Tennessee has potential to improve their rowing program and to be a consistent NCAA program. Their athletic facilities are too notch and the new AD has them rolling in every sport. Football won new year’s day bowl, both basketball teams made the sweet 16, and both baseball and softball made it the College World Series last year. Rowing has a nice boathouse on the river right on campus, which is a short walk from the athletic dorms. The racing venue in Oak Ridge is a short 30 minute drive from campus. Nice climate for rowing. I’m curious to see their roster this season and see how high Cupini can take them.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

Slim wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:33 pm
Mandolorian wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:09 pm
rowing wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:27 am What if a previously recruited and funded TN athlete says, "fcuk you Kim, I'm going to beat your SMU tagalongs in every erg test and seat race!" ?

Do they get to keep their scholarship then?
Nope. Cupini has complete and final decision on who gets a scholarship and who doesn’t. What’s even more interesting is that she has to make the decisions so that she has no more than 20 scholarship athletes on the roster by the start of the academic calendar. So she can’t wait until they start practicing and see how the Tennessee kids compare to her SMU kids. She has to decide before she has even had a chance to watch the Tenn kids.
Kids who were 7th at NCAAs vs kids who didn’t get a bid.
Let’s recall that the Tennessee 2v was NCAA caliber and was posting faster times than the 1v regularly. They were coached by different people. The 1v had some good kids in it.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

rowingusa wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:04 am I would think Tennessee has potential to improve their rowing program and to be a consistent NCAA program. Their athletic facilities are too notch and the new AD has them rolling in every sport. Football won new year’s day bowl, both basketball teams made the sweet 16, and both baseball and softball made it the College World Series last year. Rowing has a nice boathouse on the river right on campus, which is a short walk from the athletic dorms. The racing venue in Oak Ridge is a short 30 minute drive from campus. Nice climate for rowing. I’m curious to see their roster this season and see how high Cupini can take them.

Enough with the window dressing. Add real people.
Mandolorian
Varsity

Post by Mandolorian »

rowing wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 9:12 am That's another angle for sure.

But I'm more curious about steamrolling *individual* athletes whose only apparent mistake was being in the wrong place at the wrong time. They committed. They signed. They made plans.

Will they get the opportunity to prove they are worth the promises that were extended by the institution under previous representation, or are they screwed without recourse in someone's cutthroat pursuit of 13th to 18th place at 2024 NCAA ????

For the record, "ends justify the means" is usually applied when there are actual ENDS to reflect upon. We seem to be jumping the gun a bit. Or a lot.

For all of the personal faith in "proving it on the water" that rowers seem to have as cultural DNA, I find it amusing so many are keen to accept authoritarian selection (and pre-selection) simply out of a desire to skip the very struggle that forges champions, and replace it with "well, all of that just wastes time, so let's hire some badass pirate!"
This is the real issue I have with all of this - the Tennessee kids don't even get a chance to prove themselves against the SMU kids.

And as Norm says, the Tenn 2V was a legit NCAA caliber crew, and even in the V8 there were some good kids. So what is the fair way to decide who gets to stay and keep their scholarship, and who goes? I have heard that Kim is using erg scores from this past year to decide which scholarship athletes she will keep on the roster and who she will cut.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Is there a GoFundMe for the lawsuits yet?

I got a Benji burning a hole in me pocket!
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Let’s take it down a level , all is being run through compliance.
TheNatureBoy
Pre-Elite

Post by TheNatureBoy »

Mandolorian wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:49 am Difference is O'Neill left Cal in a good place so Acosta could just pick up where he left off. It s like Cupini, is basically blowing up SMU as she walks out the door leaving very little for Graham to come in and build upon.
Transfer rules were a lot different 10 years ago when Dave left Cal; athletes still had to sit out and lose a year of eligibility. I’m sure Dave would have loved to take some of his athletes with him.
SQUAREdown
Varsity

Post by SQUAREdown »

TheNatureBoy wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 8:30 pm Transfer rules were a lot different 10 years ago when Dave left Cal; athletes still had to sit out and lose a year of eligibility. I’m sure Dave would have loved to take some of his athletes with him.
Exceptions were allowed for athletes when the head coach turned over.
Step Up
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Mandolorian wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2023 3:01 pm
And as Norm says, the Tenn 2V was a legit NCAA caliber crew, and even in the V8 there were some good kids.
Now the Tenn V8 will be a legit 2V.
rowingusa
Novice

Post by rowingusa »

Tennessee's 2023-24 roster is on their website and there appears to be 15 SMU transfers listed, including lots of 1v8 SMU rowers. All of Tennessee's returning rowers are back as well, I only noticed one who didn't return. 4 out of the 6 Tennessee signees are also listed, only a Freshman international signee and a graduate transfer didn't appear on the roster.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

That’s a tough situation for Coach Graham to walk into at SMU.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Slim wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 5:31 pm That’s a tough situation for Coach Graham to walk into at SMU.
Not only that, but SMU will be joining the ACC with Cal, Virginia, Syracuse, Duke, and Stanford next year (NCAA qualifiers). There will be 12 women's rowing teams in the ACC.