Most Improved for 2024

Which program will show most improvement in 2024?

UCF
21%
Harvard
21%
Tennessee
42%
Tulsa
4%
Miami
8%
USC
No votes
Duke
No votes
Virginia
4%

Total votes: 24

Slim
Old timer

Re: Most Improved for 2024

Post by Slim »

Make the final at ACCs and you’ll get a bid.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Going to be interesting if some of these mid tier programs (Clemson type is what I'm thinking of) are going to look at lot worse with all the additions. "5th in the ACC" sounds decent. Now that's more like 8th/9th. Gotta think that adds some more heat (relatively)
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Without a Pac-12 conference, that's one fewer auto-bid and therefore one more at-large.
Slim wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 6:30 pm Make the final at ACCs and you’ll get a bid.
Don't get horizon jobbed though...esp if you don't have a strong out of conference record.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Anyone have athletes taking a LOA to make a boat in Paris?
okayrower
Pre-Elite

Post by okayrower »

socalstroke wrote: Fri Sep 08, 2023 8:18 pm Anyone have athletes taking a LOA to make a boat in Paris?
My guess is Stanford, Texas, Yale, Ohio State have people taking the year off. Could be wrong and there are probably more.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Perhaps I should have had Clemson on this list. Not bad this weekend.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

I'd give that honor to Wisco before Clemson.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Wisco also looks improved.

Tulsa not looking good.
rowingusa
Novice

Post by rowingusa »

Tennessee rowing sweeps Minnesota in Kim Cupini’s first regatta as head coach

https://www.utdailybeacon.com/sports/ro ... 6c635.html
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

crewu wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:58 pm Wisco also looks improved.

Tulsa not looking good.
I didn't get the impression that Wisco did all that well at the Cardinal Invite a couple weekends ago...was that impression wrong?
Withoutmercy
Pre-Elite

Post by Withoutmercy »

rowingusa wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:22 pm Tennessee rowing sweeps Minnesota in Kim Cupini’s first regatta as head coach

https://www.utdailybeacon.com/sports/ro ... 6c635.html
Times a bit too quick this early in.
Hard to believe the current was nil with a 5mph cross head.
Norm
Old timer

Post by Norm »

fullmetal wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:31 pm
crewu wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2023 6:58 pm Wisco also looks improved.

Tulsa not looking good.
Wisco looked technically better than I’ve seen them but they didn’t exhibit as much speed as one might expect after a very mild winter.

I didn't get the impression that Wisco did all that well at the Cardinal Invite a couple weekends ago...was that impression wrong?
Wisco looked technically better and generally fitter than I’ve seen them but they didn’t exhibit as much speed as one might expect after a very mild winter.
Perhaps this is a harbinger of better things to come.
Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by fighting back - Piet Hein
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Watch out for BU

I'm unsure if we should give Tennessee credit simply for transferring the squad from SMU. If Tennessee makes significant improvements from where SMU was, then I'd consider them worthy of recognition.
SQUAREdown
Varsity

Post by SQUAREdown »

lt.wolf wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:26 am
I'm unsure if we should give Tennessee credit simply for transferring the squad from SMU. If Tennessee makes significant improvements from where SMU was, then I'd consider them worthy of recognition.
I think this is a reasonable and objective take. However, all the world is a stage.

The constant theme in a lot of press and podcasts out there is that “everything is great and everyone gets along”. I can get behind the promotion of getting your team to function as a team and the messaging that goes along with that. But for an outside observer, being constantly told by someone else that they are in love with a spouse or parter and have no problems, without being prompted, does make you wonder.

Also, it was quite stunning to see rowing news report on UT as if they had been hired as a pr firm. Most confusing was the author essentially making up an entirely new set of criticisms that no one else was making. Then the author attributed ostensibly made up motives as the reasons for these non-existent criticisms. This is how it read to me: “If you are reading this article and think anything different than what the author is stating here, you are anti-female student athlete, are jealous, and/or need to go to therapy”. In fact, the widely discussed criticism was squarely directed at the head coach and their transition. No female athletes were referenced in criticisms, specifically or generically nor were their decisions to transfer. It was also notable that zero women who stayed at Smu were included in the story, neither was there any disclaimer about those athletes declining interviews. There was no value of that article to the readership or rowing community at large. It was a “sit down and shut up” lecture. The only thing missing was the author writing it in all caps.

All this to say, I’m not really sure an objective take really ever breaks through anymore. Especially in rowing. Which is too bad. We might see a shade more accountability.
Last edited by SQUAREdown on Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Step Up
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

I take it the RN piece lauded the transfer portal as an empowering right of women rowers to take their skills elsewhere? I mean, there are many people who don't like the effect the portal has had on men's sports either.