Grand Puba

Re: Spring 2024

Post by lt.wolf »

NU vs Harvard for the Smith Cup , this Wednesday at 8:00 am 4/24
LoreMaster1
Old timer

Post by LoreMaster1 »

Very curious to see how the polls shake out after today. Two possibilities: Princeton’s victory over Harvard puts them at number one, or (I suspect more likely) is taken as proof that Harvard beating UW was an outlier and UW’s dominance over Cal gets them the nod.

NU vs Harvard and later Princeton vs post-Gladstone Yale will be very interesting.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Outlier …nah Harvard won

I have had Princeton at the top for two weeks now.

Princeton 1 , Harvard 2 for the moment as this can change

UW very impressive to throw a CR at Cal
Almostflipped
Old timer

Post by Almostflipped »

Still think Harvard lacks the depth to stay on top as the season progresses. Got them for bronze come IRA's, maybe fourth if this weekend is a wake up call to Cal.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

LaSalle with a tight one over Drexel, fun times in Philly (unless you're Temple I guess)
Faster-n-faster
Pre-Elite

Post by Faster-n-faster »

Brown 9 seconds over Dartmouth. Dartmouth won the 2v though. Interesting.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Long term, I have UW winning it all, but this could be the most competitive 1V field (for the win) in awhile between UW, PRI, HAR.

Maybe it'll become a 2 horse race by the time we're at IRAs, but when was the last time we went into that weekend with 3 real contenders? I don't have one that jumps to mind in the last decade at least but I could be missing one
matt1984
Varsity

Post by matt1984 »

lt.wolf wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:11 pm Outlier …nah Harvard won

I have had Princeton at the top for two weeks now.

Princeton 1 , Harvard 2 for the moment as this can change

UW very impressive to throw a CR at Cal
Harvard and UW are .500 against each other and seems like the benchmark for East vs West speed, unless Cal vs Syracuse provides more insight. It's too early, but UW's second 1000 was strong.
str8four
Veteran

Post by str8four »

After racing this weekend I have it: 1. Princeton, 2 UW, 3. Harvard, 4. Cal, 5. Yale, 6. Syracuse 7. Brown, 8. NE, 9. Penn, 10. Navy.

I see medals at IRA going to any of the top 4, with Brown potentially bumping someone from the IRA Grand Final. Adams cup should be interesting top see where Penn and Navy stack up.

I do like seeing Penn getting back into top 10 contention. I am wondering what they are doing so much better than Columbia as both changed head coaches around the same time.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

My top 6
Princeton
Harvard
UW
Yale
Cal
Syracuse

I like your sentiments on Penn, they are gaining speed each year and have one of the best starts in the V8
gamestop
Elite

Post by gamestop »

Re LaSalle - they have really impressed, and can't hurt to have Perkins now in their building. Did a significant amount of Temple guys transfer out after last year?

And re Columbia, the most concerning thing has to be that they are only racing a 1v and 2v. How is that possible? Everyone in the league is racing up to a 4V at least.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

gamestop wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:13 am
And re Columbia, the most concerning thing has to be that they are only racing a 1v and 2v. How is that possible? Everyone in the league is racing up to a 4V at least.
I’ll bet a lot of guys didn’t sign up for the Tom Terhaar training program when they were being recruited.
DoubleBuffet
Novice

Post by DoubleBuffet »

My top 10:
1. Washington
2. Princeton
3. Harvard
4. Cal
5. Yale
6. Brown
7. Syracuse
8. Northeastern
9. Penn
10. Dartmouth

From what I heard Columbia made significant cuts both voluntary and involuntary. Terharr significantly stepped up volume and those who couldn't get to pace either left the team or were cut. I think the B final of the IRA will get even more exciting over the next few years. Penn, Columbia, Stanford will all get significantly better in the next few years. Cornell and BU are destined to become C final teams unless they make some big changes.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

gamestop wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:13 amAnd re Columbia, the most concerning thing has to be that they are only racing a 1v and 2v. How is that possible? Everyone in the league is racing up to a 4V at least.
They only have two coxswains on their heavy men roster. I wonder if any of the other Columbia rowing teams have spare coxswains (lwt men have four total, women have four total). Also, the heavy men only have two seniors and three juniors on the squad. The rest of the team is sophmores and freshmen.
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

INTERCOLLEGIATE ROWING ASSOCIATION LAUNCHES FIRST-OF-ITS-KIND PARTNERSHIP WITH OVERNGHT AS EXCLUSIVE STREAMING PARTNER FOR ALL REGATTAS Overnght Subscribers will Experience Live Streamed Coverage of Every IRA Event
Las Vegas, NV – Charting a new course for collegiate rowing, the Intercollegiate Rowing Association (IRA) and sports streaming platform Overnght unveil a groundbreaking multi-year partnership. As the exclusive streaming platform for all IRA regattas, this collaboration will significantly enhance the accessibility of collegiate rowing, allowing fans worldwide to experience live-streamed coverage of every major IRA event through the Overnght platform.
“Overnght and the Intercollegiate Rowing Association elevate sports streaming standards with a first-of-its-kind collaboration to make rowing more accessible to viewers,” said Kevin McReynolds, CEO of Overnght. “This groundbreaking partnership will deliver rowing fans comprehensive live-streamed coverage of every regatta, right on the Overnght platform."
Launching with the New England Rowing Championships on May 4, 2024, Overnght will showcase top collegiate rowing talent directly to fans’ screens, including the:
● Intercollegiate Rowing Association National Championship (May 31, June 1 & 2, 2024)
● Men’s Eastern Sprints (May 19, 2024)
● National Invitational Rowing Championship (May 12, 2024)
● Women’s Eastern Sprints (May 5, 2024)
“The Intercollegiate Rowing Association is proud to collaborate with Overnght in this new venture to broaden the footprint of collegiate rowing in the viewing marketplace. We take great pride in the quality of our webcasts and our continuing innovations in streaming our live regatta series, and Overnght will prove, we are sure, to be the right partner to expand our footprint in this space,” commented Gary Caldwell, Commissioner of the Intercollegiate Rowing Association.
Rowing fans can access all IRA regattas live by subscribing to Overnght, where they can also enjoy additional content such as the “IRA Rowing Insiders” webcast that features insights, interviews, and analysis, giving a closer look at the strategies and stories behind collegiate rowing. For more details on subscriptions and streaming schedules, visit overnght.com.

ABOUT THE INTERCOLLEGIATE ROWING ASSOCIATION
The IRA has always been about commitment. Independent of the NCAA, it has embraced and cultivated financial independence and commitment to the membership and our student athletes. It is the oldest collegiate championships in the US for 125 years, interrupted only by two world wars, and year one of the Covid pandemic. The IRA has determined the best of the best in men’s college rowing, and more recently the National Collegiate Champions for Heavyweight and Lightweight Men and Lightweight Women. Notable Crews, such as the Washington 1936 “Boys in the Boat,” the recent winning streaks of Washington and Yale Heavyweights, and the Stanford Lightweight Women, are but a few of the compelling storylines to come out of this enduring National Treasure. For more information, visit irarowing.com.
ABOUT OVERNGHT
Overnght is a leading sports streaming platform committed to delivering high-quality sports coverage. Offering a diverse range of live matches, original series, and behind-the-scenes footage that celebrates the passion and dedication of athletes worldwide, Overnight connects fans with their favorite sports through live and on-demand access to sporting events. Built on a commitment to delivering compelling storytelling and unparalleled accessibility, Overnght aims to inspire, entertain, and unite sports fans across the globe. Sign up today at Overnght.com and follow along on Instagram @overnght.