Spring 2024

Rush N. Hang
Varsity

Re: Spring 2024

Post by Rush N. Hang »

andpaddle wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 2:16 pm
crewu wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:40 am I think having regionals duals or tri-meets for D3 qualification would come across a lot more palatable for the IRA than the bad look this presents.
Feels like the model should be WIRA vs Western Sprints. WIRA is has tons of entries and robust club/varsity racing (and was won by a club), but the varsity teams come together later to race for the IRA bid. I think the Atlantic Sprints event that Marietta created last year is meant to become that?

https://www.row2k.com/features/6089/atl ... -the-east/
Fewer and fewer varsity programs are coming to WIRA. Perhaps the Western Sprints three weeks later is the reason. Maybe the varsity programs want to avoid losing to a club team by open water like USD. Santa Clara only sent their novice boat and got schooled by Coast. UCSD was a no show and Gonzaga last attended in 2022, when they got beat by 2 club teams in the finals. I doubt any varsity programs will be at WIRA next year.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

But the western sprints teams have clubs on their schedule most years. Makes the split at the end of the season seem ridiculous and a waste of money.
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Isn't USD D1? A D1 school losing to a club is something a little different than a D3 program. I would guess UCLA, Michigan, UVA, etc have resources on par or better than most D3 schools (neither have scholarships, D3 is obviously more subsidized but the big clubs are drawing from massive student bodies and are still getting a fair number of dudes who rowed in HS at a pretty decent level).

At least in theory, even a low D1 program has more to work with. East coach has seen the D1 programs launch past clubs in the last 5-10 years at Vails specifically. It wasn't that long ago you would see Michigan/UVA in the medals consistently. Even if we had same old Vails, that wouldn't be remotely the case with what Drexel, LaSalle, Temple, etc have done lately
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Are the Michigan/UVA tier clubs still attending Dad Vails?
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

IRA Insiders Week5

https://www.overnght.com/player/8ac65d1 ... 3553f3420c

This weeks guest Lizzy Houston Stanford Lightweight Women’s Coach

Another great guest for next week
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Next weeks guest Princeton HW Men’s Coach Greg Hughes will join us a few days out from Eastern Sprints
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

fullmetal wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 10:07 am Are the Michigan/UVA tier clubs still attending Dad Vails?
I think for the most part they aren't. Been a weird couple of years for Vails between Covid and moving to Camden and whatnot. Not sure about this year.
SwissSculler
Old timer

Post by SwissSculler »

All the faster ACRA Teams (especially those with competitive eights) have moved away from Dad Vails. Especially since ACRA is now a week (or less) after Vails.

ACRA is our championship race, our focus. The rest is distraction. Meanwhile ACRA has outgrown Dad Vail in size, and aside from the 3-4 top programs - probably in competitiveness as well.
"Speed Matters"
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

lt.wolf wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm Next weeks guest Princeton HW Men’s Coach Greg Hughes will join us a few days out from Eastern Sprints
be curious to know what changes, if any, have helped Pton find more speed the last two seasons. To my eye looks like they are executing better at the front end.

separate rumor mill:
1) any truth that Santa Clara athletics is coming under pressure?
2) disciplinary issues are impacting or Columbia LW results?
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

socalstroke wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 11:52 pm
lt.wolf wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:27 pm Next weeks guest Princeton HW Men’s Coach Greg Hughes will join us a few days out from Eastern Sprints
be curious to know what changes, if any, have helped Pton find more speed the last two seasons. To my eye looks like they are executing better at the front end.
Same question here for him. I've generally been a fan of their rowing, but I agree it looks like there's a touch more pickup at the front end. Hughes seems like a guy who looks to iterate and make tweaks each year so maybe there's been a shift in emphasis a little?

Could also be the good ole "1-2 really superb classes". Last time they were this fast had guys like Nick Mead around (iirc)
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

I have not heard anything regarding Santa Clara

Unfortunately a few guys from Columbia missed some racing opportunities this year for various reasons
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Racing this weekend

Cornell vs. Oregon State, Cornell, Ithaca NY
Pennsylvania vs. Holy Cross, Ithaca NY
Madeira Cup : Pennsylvania vs. Cornell, Ithaca NY
Holy Cross vs. Oregon State, Ithaca NY
Pennsylvania vs. Oregon State, Ithaca NY
Holy Cross vs. Cornell, Ithaca NY
Content Cup: Princeton vs. Brown, Princeton, N.J.
Stevenson Cup: Columbia vs. Navy, Hobart, West Windsor, NJ
Stanford vs Cal The Big Row , Redwood Shores

Picks
COR > OSU
PENN > HC
PENN > COR
OSU > HC
PENN > OSU
PRI > BRO
NAV > COL
CAL > STA
lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Post by lt.wolf »

Princeton heads to Sprints undefeated!
okayrower
Pre-Elite

Post by okayrower »

lt.wolf wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:40 pm Princeton heads to Sprints undefeated!
When was the last time Princeton went into Sprints as the number one seed? They certainly look pretty good.
LoreMaster1
Old timer

Post by LoreMaster1 »

Gotta be ‘06 which was their last undefeated regular season. Won sprints, second behind Cal at IRAs.