Reshaping Athletics

lt.wolf
Grand Puba

Reshaping Athletics

Post by lt.wolf »

https://resources.lmu.edu/reshaping-athletics/

To provide the best student-athlete experience possible, adapt to the quickly evolving NCAA landscape, and ensure continued equal opportunities and access, LMU has made the difficult decision to discontinue six intercollegiate programs at the end of the 2023-24 competitive seasons.

The six intercollegiate sports that will be discontinued are: men’s cross country, men’s rowing, men’s track and field, women’s rowing, women’s swimming and women’s track and field.

Announced on Jan. 23, 2024, these changes will enable LMU Athletics to concentrate its resources on remaining programs, enabling the university to position its sports for greater successes in the future.

LMU is providing significant resources to assist impacted students, including honoring their athletic financial aid if they remain at LMU. Under the supervision of LMU Student Affairs, the university continues to offer club sports competition options. LMU Athletics will also assist those students who choose to transfer to continue their collegiate athletic careers
SQUAREdown
Varsity

Re: Reshaping Athletics

Post by SQUAREdown »

“Changing landscape”

I suspect that will be a popular term over the next couple of years. Non-alum resourced rowing programs are on bad footing in the nil/semi pro era of college athletics.
Step Up
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Certainly will be the new explanation from institutions but I don't know how much I buy it in this case. LMU is probably struggling to offer NIL incentives but it has been under invested in rowing for years, if not decades. The alums had to come up with funds to hire the assistant. Some years I forget the men's side even exists.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

LMU was set to cut all varsity sports back in the 1990s until its men's BB team went on a miraculous Cinderella run at NCAAs and school applications for admission skyrocketed. That saved all the sports and even led to the purchase of a new floating boathouse (after the previous one actually sank).

Sadly, it is clear there is no chance of a miracle coming from men's basketball this year hence the timing of this decision. Too bad.
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Of course no university is paying for NIL. Has any research confirmed that donations to NIL collectives had decreased donations to athletic development offices?
bz
Pre-Elite

Post by bz »

ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT DONATIONS UP DESPITE RISE OF NIL COLLECTIVES

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/colleg ... 234763721/
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Yeah, so basically LMU is blaming the bogeyman du jour for their incompetence.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

Slim wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 12:19 pm Of course no university is paying for NIL. Has any research confirmed that donations to NIL collectives had decreased donations to athletic development offices?
I think the LMU AD would likely argue that with NIL (one factor) it is now much harder compete in men's basketball - their only real revenue sport. That means funding the other programs is also now harder.

Maybe it is incompetency on LMU's part but they have at least come to realize their limitations. I suspect other college's will too.

The move also brings LMU into full Title IX compliance. The campus is M48%/F52% and now the total number of athletes on current rosters is also exactly 48/52 on a percentage basis.

Hate to see rowing go but this is a tough sport to support financially, esp on the women's side, if you are a smaller school. I have to wonder if another contemporary Catholic college further south is the next to cut sports.

When 'reshaping athletics', I think the question every AD is asking themselves is - if I don't have a football team, why do I need a women's rowing team? Women's Rowing is designed for really big teams - it is a counter sport - and if you don't want to pay for a really big team, then you have no business being in women's rowing.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

USD should be asking themselves why they need a football team when they have rowing. Football has been successful in recent history but it does not do anything for the school's rep. Rowing, like basketball, at least has the potential to rub shoulders with well known institutions.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

socalstroke wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:03 pm USD should be asking themselves why they need a football team when they have rowing. Football has been successful in recent history but it does not do anything for the school's rep. Rowing, like basketball, at least has the potential to rub shoulders with well known institutions.
I imagine that is a question USD is asking itself as it goes about its search for a new AD. If they choose an AD from a football school then I would be very worried for the Olympic sports.
SQUAREdown
Varsity

Post by SQUAREdown »

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ge-sports/

College rowing coaches of America, start polishing those resumes!
Step Up
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

https://apps.nlrb.gov/link/document.asp ... 4583c5ebe4

Link for actual decision. Contains some interesting arguments. In the Ivy or D3 case, I wonder if this could backfire for the athletes and result in a reduced athletic experience. Regardless, Dartmouth and the NCAA are going to need better counsel on appeal.

Side note: If the athletes were to win and be considered employees, might international recruits violate the terms of their visa? On paper athletes don't violate the 20 hour cap, but we all know what happens in practice.
crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

socalstroke wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:08 pm Side note: If the athletes were to win and be considered employees, might international recruits violate the terms of their visa? On paper athletes don't violate the 20 hour cap, but we all know what happens in practice.
That would be a massive boost for recruiting more domestic rowers on both the men's and women's side. USRowing likes.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

If the employee makes the company money, they keep them.

If not......
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

In this case, the employees will probably be organized as a union, so terms of employment vis-a-vis performance will be dictated in the contract.

But as we know from Starbucks, Amazon, Apple, etc. etc., just because you win the vote to organize does not mean that the management will actually negotiate a contract in good faith. They'll just drag their heels on negotiations and continue to pressure pro-union employees out of the company.