Reshaping Athletics

fullmetal
Old timer

Re: Reshaping Athletics

Post by fullmetal »

SQUAREdown wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:12 pm I think part of what gets lost in this is the tacit fact that a lot of college is a charade. It’s a 4-5 year pleasure cruise mostly designed to facilitate lazy employer hiring based on credentialism and network connections.
Not my experience at all. Maybe I should have majored in something easy.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

fullmetal wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:12 am
SQUAREdown wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2024 6:12 pm I think part of what gets lost in this is the tacit fact that a lot of college is a charade. It’s a 4-5 year pleasure cruise mostly designed to facilitate lazy employer hiring based on credentialism and network connections.
Not my experience at all. Maybe I should have majored in something easy.
lol one of the all time worst takes in RI and that's saying something. Imagine thinking education is a waste. I think someone is just salty.
SQUAREdown
Varsity

Post by SQUAREdown »

Not my experience at all. Maybe I should have in something easy.
lol one of the all time worst takes in RI and that's saying something. Imagine thinking education is a waste. I think someone is just salty.
1) My comments clearly were not directed at minimizing the role of humans educating themselves and success in life.

2) The vast majority of people, do not need to spend $80k a year to be educated. Lawyers, doctors, rocket scientists, nuclear engineers, sure. But the only reason most everyone else considers paying this is for career connections at graduation (and because someone is willing to give them a home loan to pay it). Not to gain a deeper understanding of Ulysses’ longing for heroic days gone by.

Conflating those two things is among one of the laziest takes in RI history. I appreciate the amplification of my point however. ;)

To refocus, students who play a sport that generates no revenue logically conclude they should be paid, because they all know, higher Ed, as an industry, is a racket. Why should the students themselves be left out of the take?
Step Up
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

fullmetal wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 1:07 am Actually, I do not see women's rowing going away since women's rowing tends to balance football in terms of Title IX resource allocation. If football becomes quasi-professional and leaves the Title IX equation though, then women's rowing suddenly loses its administrative raison d'etre.

While rowing won't be on tv, it's not without utility as long as Title IX is the law.
This is where I'm at, roster and money wise, rowing is a relatively easy way to balance football. Even in a world where non-revs get a ton of cuts, most ADs will still want to carry Football, basketball, baseball. WBB and softball balance the latter 2. I guess you could maybe do field hockey+volleyball or something to balance football instead of rowing?

If football is out of Title IX, all bets are off.
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

If the power 5 conferences break away from the NCAA, as seems likely to happen in the not too distant future, would Title IX still be applicable? Or does Title IX only apply to sports under the NCAA umbrella?

Because if the answer is no, then truly a lot of women's sports are done for. And once football breaks away from the NCAA all hell really will break loose on college athletics. There are some basketball programs and maybe a handful of other sports that generate cash for their universities, but outside of that it is all a loss for the athletic departments. Why field any varsity level sports with scholarships at that point?
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

Title IX is a federal law, not an NCAA rule
Remomex
Old timer

Post by Remomex »

Right, but it applies to athletes because of scholarships under the NCAA. If power 5 football leaves NCAA, becomes fully NIL/paid/employee, does that mean Title IX still applies?
FullSend
Elite

Post by FullSend »

I'm definitely not an expert. My understanding is that if it falls under the school and they are all still students, it is under Title IX, but I'm guessing we will all find out together (probably through court rulings)
Slim
Old timer

Post by Slim »

Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), generally prohibits discrimination in the workplace, including discrimination based on sex. Title IX prohibits sex-based employment discrimination in federally assisted schools, educational programs, and activities.
fullmetal
Old timer

Post by fullmetal »

Employment. It was right there all along, lol.
bz
Pre-Elite

Post by bz »

To be somewhat more precise, this is from the NCAA Title IX FAQ:

Q. What is Title IX?

"No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance."

Q. Who does Title IX apply to?

Title IX applies to all educational institutions, both public and private, that receive federal funds. Almost all private colleges and universities must abide by Title IX regulations because they receive federal funding through federal financial aid programs used by their students.

Q. How is Title IX applied to athletics?

Athletics programs are considered educational programs and activities.
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

crewu
Old timer

Post by crewu »

So a men's or women's sports team - by definition - discriminates based on sex and should be illegal under Title IX.

Make all sports open gender. Problem solved. Thanks for playing, ladies.

(the only point I am making here is that the legality of this entire issue is going to come under pressure from all angles).
rowing
Old timer

Post by rowing »

Given that rowing arguably "launched" the growth of women's sports in the 1976 Yale protest, it's hard to ignore the biological divisions and their basis in reality. I believe the documentary movie was called "A Hero for Daisy", not "A Heart Emoji for Lia"

The solution to respecting all of the differences is more divisions, not trying to blend disparate elements into the karesansui.
socalstroke
Old timer

Post by socalstroke »

Chnages are coming but it is probably better to read about it somewhere other than an ADF press release.